• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pulled from the shelf

fsthawk

Oct 5, 2011
Well, I went to Radio Shack to get a PRO 163 to put in the truck and keep the PRO 197 at home. When I asked if they were out the clerk said a message came out earlier this week to pull them off the shelf and not sell any of them (RS/GRE) PRO 197/163/164. Anyone have any info on this? Clerk said could be a recall or they are dropping/discontinuing the line, He wasn't sure or wouldn't say.

I have a pro163 that I bought last year and only used for a few weeks through the winter, complete with programming cable and CD and I'd sell reasonably priced.

They were pulled due to possible firmware problems. Radio Shack corporate required "company" owned stores to return their stock for firmware upgrades. "Franchise" stores were not affected and were allowed to sell existing stock. The problem is now resolved and they're back on the shelves everywhere.

Personally, I would spend $100 more and go digital. The PRO-106 and PRO-197 routinely go on sale for $299. Analog trucking scanners such as he PRO-163 and PRO-164 are quickly becoming obsolete. Even digital will become obsolete due to encryption... but at least you'll have more of a "fighting chance".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.