• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Push up mast with a Victor 4k question

curlyjo

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Southern Calidornia
I got a litely used push up mast a while back. It is a Rohn 40'er. Anyone use one with a Victor 4k antenna? Think my antenna wheighs 8 or nine pounds. Got 500' of 800# guy rope. Any thought's anyone.

Just support the bottom section of the mast at two points; then every additional ten ft in height with guy rope @ 3 or 4 different angles. That is how I did mine, and used a 4 element beam on it with a rotor. I'd also make sure that the rope you are using is UV resistant. Worked fine - even in medium strength winds. Wind is the real factor; so how much wind force/speed do you see at your location?

Reactions: curlyjo
Just support the bottom section of the mast at two points; then every additional ten ft in height with guy rope @ 3 or 4 different angles. That is how I did mine, and used a 4 element beam on it with a rotor. I'd also make sure that the rope you are using is UV resistant. Worked fine - even in medium strength winds. Wind is the real factor; so how much wind force/speed do you see at your location?
Think we got 45 mph winds
the other night down here in Moreno Valley. Probaly close to the same you get from time to time. My orginal mast was two pieces of 20' top rail. 1 5/8 " & 1 7/8" slided togeher to make a 30' pole. With my antenna it took four guys to drop it in the hole and mount it to my patio. (Un guyed) That worked fine til earlier this year the stinger snapped off. Since then I rebuilt the antenna with better material. Made a three piece mast adding a 10' x 1 1/4" piece to it. The new mast is 25' tall and (un guyed). I liked it becaue I put it put with no help. However it can't take the wind and bends out of shape. I want to put someing up I can do by myself. May just replace the bent piece and guy it this time. I like your thred about your beam. Saved it and read it several times. It inspired me to build my 3 element quad. That antenna is guyed and holds it's own in the winds. Don't know if you saw it? I put a 3 min. clip of it on Youtube. Think it is titled 3 Element Cubicial Antenna. It shows my Vector style antenna in the back ground. Thank's for your reply! 73's

Reactions: Robb
The push up pole will be fine as long as you secure it properly. There are a couple of guys around here with that antenna on a push up pole. The only one that had an issue didn't guy the center sections and it buckled in a wind storm. The 3/8 dacron rope I have is UV resistant and seems to be holding up pretty well after a few years. My shockwave is pretty heavy for a ground plane and is on a 40 ft push up. It survived some straight line wind 80-90 mph back in the summer.

I use a 4-point/90° guying pattern when installing a mast on the roof.
I use turnbuckles at each eyebolt.
I locate the spot on the underside of the overhang where the guybolt will be and secure a 2"x4" there, then drill through both for the guy eyebolt.
I do one eyebolt per corner per mast section.
A 4-section, 37' mast would have a total of 16 guy lines and 16 eyebolts, 4 per corner.
I install the mast first, guy the bottom section straight, true and plumb, then elevate the mast all the way without the antenna or coax, but WITH the guylines to get the guylines dialed with 1/3 threads left showing on each turnbuckle.
Then, loosen the turnbuckles to 1/3 IN, drop the top 3 mast sections, leaving the bottom in place (requiring a ~12' ladder next to it) then install antenna & coax and elevate to the marks made when it went up the first time for it's dry run.
It isn't a bad idea to have 3-4 (sober, competent) friends there to keep slight tension on the top guy lines until it's all the way up and the lines tighten.
Then retighten the turnbuckles and enjoy.
- Don't forget to tape the coax to the mast every 5' or so.

- That's just how I do it.

take it from me, i had a 3 element flat on a rohn h50 maxed all the way up, forgot to lower it down and tornado winds came thru, now i'm waiting to put a tower up.But those masts are really good just make it more stable and should be fine

I use a 4-point/90° guying pattern when installing a mast on the roof.
I use turnbuckles at each eyebolt.
I locate the spot on the underside of the overhang where the guybolt will be and secure a 2"x4" there, then drill through both for the guy eyebolt.
I do one eyebolt per corner per mast section.
A 4-section, 37' mast would have a total of 16 guy lines and 16 eyebolts, 4 per corner.
I install the mast first, guy the bottom section straight, true and plumb, then elevate the mast all the way without the antenna or coax, but WITH the guylines to get the guylines dialed with 1/3 threads left showing on each turnbuckle.
Then, loosen the turnbuckles to 1/3 IN, drop the top 3 mast sections, leaving the bottom in place (requiring a ~12' ladder next to it) then install antenna & coax and elevate to the marks made when it went up the first time for it's dry run.
It isn't a bad idea to have 3-4 (sober, competent) friends there to keep slight tension on the top guy lines until it's all the way up and the lines tighten.
Then retighten the turnbuckles and enjoy.
- Don't forget to tape the coax to the mast every 5' or so.

- That's just how I do it.
Do you remember what size turnbuckles you used? Would love to have my antenna roof mounted but, I have a concrete tile roof. Tossing around the idea of making a base made out of 2" X 4"s & plywood to dispurse the the weight. That way I can use 1 1/4" top rail. My antenna is a real preformer. Tired of messing with It. 73's

I use a push-up pole, and the bottom section of it is mounted/strapped to the building frame at it lowest and uppermost part of that section. The bottom of that bottom section of the tube is in a pre-poured piece of concrete (2 ft x 2 ft) with a formed cylinder slightly larger than then outer base of the pole, so that it can slide in and out if necessary.

I then slide one section at a time upwards standing on the roof and then secure the guy ropes. A set of guy ropes just below the antenna itself keeps it secure. One man job - if done right. Works for me.

Do you remember what size turnbuckles you used? Would love to have my antenna roof mounted but, I have a concrete tile roof. Tossing around the idea of making a base made out of 2" X 4"s & plywood to dispurse the the weight. That way I can use 1 1/4" top rail. My antenna is a real preformer. Tired of messing with It. 73's

I typically use a little larger turnbuckle than most might because I like to have the size for both strength and ease of turning plus it provides a lot more adjustment than a smaller turnbuckle. Mine were a 6" body. That provides 6" of tightening.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.