• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quad or Horizontal Beam ?

The optimized beam is supposed to have a 1 mhz bandwidth or greater. I want to get it to work on the top of 11m (27.300mhz/ch 30 CB) and up into the phone band on 10m (28.300 to 28.500mhz). A tuner will have to be used and will be necessary to make up the difference. It should be most resonant @ 27.555mhz. Are there any problems/considerations I should know about when running a tuner on a beam?

My biggest concern with the optimization, is to reduce the side and rear reception. The whole real point in having a beam - right? If I lose 1/2 of a db to forward gain to accomplish this - I consider that an acceptable loss. It has plenty of gain, so a very small loss means little when one considers the improved side and rear rejection.

Left: This is the polar pattern of the optimized Maco M104C @ 27.555mhz

Right: Graph of optimized Maco M104C

(You can compare both graphics to the OEM Maco M104C at the top of this page)

Attachments

• free4-555.jpg
    free4-555.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 79
  • free4-graph.jpg
    free4-graph.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 78
Seriously considering a PDL 2 beam . . .

Would it be possible to mount a IMAX above it?
Or would it just screw it up?
What are all of the factors to consider.

I was also considering a 4 element Maco M104C horizontal; but with a 19 ft boom length it seems hard to do at my location. The quad beams have a 9 ft boom length - right?
I make a quad spider www.rickadams.net you buy and build the rest to your specks or however you want for your application.

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.