• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about a couple different amplifiers..

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
Alright, been watching videos on those BM Technology amplifiers...
Ok, and of course most of us like to see the numbers ect and what Ive seen they look good on the Bird meters...

But what I want to know, how clean are they, meaning compared to a TS amp?..

Are they considered to be a class c, b, ab amp, anyone no this answer ?..

Anyone here running one ?.

Bowel Movement amps. Designs them while sitting on crapper, builds the in the closet.Typical CB type crap.
Rich

Reactions: Crusher
The guy does good work. Clean will depend on how you use it. All the builder can do is make the amp works right and make sure it will take the abuse most guys will give it. If the owner wants to drive the snot out of it isn't going to be clean. I'm not sure what video but I'm sure he drives them hard to show what it will do. That's what people want and the majority would think he was a moron if he showed off a 100 watt 2 pill.

I might have made some jokes about bowel movements before I owned a couple of things he built. His tube amps are built like a tank compared to commercial ham amps. I dont know what he offers as far as pill amps but I'd take a comp style box with a real bias circuit over a Texas Star any day. Texas Star is the epitome of CB junk...there will always be the guys that have been running Texas Star for years with no problems. The same guys have probably been getting taken to the cleaners by their cb tech for all those years.

10-4, I've done some research on the TS amps..

Been looking at the BM Technology amps and from what I've read those tube amps are well built....just curious about his pill amps, didn't no what class those amps was, never heard anyone say...

I don't know a thing about these amps but I know a thing or two about true craftsmanship, pride and ownership of your work. After reviewing the flicker page I can tell that the shop is hospital clean and tidy like my grannies house. This attention to detail will definitely been carried on in the workmanship of the product produced there in.

Clean will depend on how you use it. All the builder can do is make the amp works right and make sure it will take the abuse most guys will give it. If the owner wants to drive the snot out of it isn't going to be clean.

Clean depends as much or more on the amp design than the operator, although the operator certainly has a role to play. No "CB" amps meet any specification that would normally be associated with "clean" in the RF world.

It depends what you feed it with. If you use a trashy radio you're screwed from the get go. If you use a clean radio, a decent low pass filter and run it under 100 pep per 2879 it won't be too bad. Make it 60 pep per 2879 to keep the IMD down even more. If you're looking to get the advertised wattage out of that unit forget all about being clean. A clean high power signal will cost you. The word clean has been getting thrown around a lot in recent years. People want it, some think they have it but only a few of us are willing to pay for it. Once you have it you still need self control or you'll be turning it all up to 11 the first time someone doesn't hear you.

Reactions: Oatmeal
The tnt 600hd will do about 500-600 watts with roughly 60-80 watts drive, I can make it do a bit more but it doesn't make a differnence on the other end. Keep the input at around 60-80 watts total and it will be okay. Also like said a clean radio will help as well as a low pass filter, even 2 of them, one after radio and one after amp. Also remeber that these amps can draw up to 100amps. So make sure you have a good power supply. Also on am keep the dead key at 2-4 watts, as long as the amp keys up at around 100 watts it should be good. And make sure you have a good vswr of 1.3:1 or less. I use mine occasionally with a kenwood ts140s and it rocks. Keep the input to the said values above and all should be good. I don't know about the newer ones as mine is one of the older production runs. At least 5+ yrs old. It uses toshiba 2879's. Like 543 don't believe the wattsge numbers the manufacturer says it will do, those are Inflated numbers. I will say this, I use mine on SSB and have never gotten a bad report, been used with a magnum 257hp, uniden 980, uniden pc122xl, and the kenwood ts140s. Still works like a champ but I don't really have to use it as 100 watts gets me out just fine. Get a good antenna setup before you spend the money on amp. hope this helps and have a great one. God Bless.

Reactions: Oatmeal
I've got a new Maco 3 element beam to put up on the flat side in the spring..I'm mostly into just talking DX and in the process of rebuilding my station...this is why I've been asking about the amps ..

Looking to run a cleaner station than I am used to owning

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated