• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

question for the hammies..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
if your radio showed a deadkey of 1/4 watt on lsb,would you be overly concerned or just take a ocd pill and forget about it ?

if your radio showed a deadkey of 1/4 watt on lsb,would you be overly concerned or just take a ocd pill and forget about it ?

Is it really or is the mic picking up just enough background noise to show a wee bit out? I key my radio with a Heil Goldline mic and unless I turn the mic gain to zero it will pickup a little noise from the central a/c running. Not enough for anyone to hear on the other end but enough to show a few watts output. No big deal.

Unless the carrier is making some kind of noise that folks on the receiving are griping about --- I wouldn't worry about it.

RatsoW8..ya,,the mic gain was on o..i,ve heard my wife talk to me whilst in the mobile n sounded fine . wasnt sure bout mebe harming the radio or not preforming as well as it should is why im asking..i figgered if have a problem i,d ask the hammies who know what their doin n if you guys didnt seemed concerned i,ll go mow the grass instead of tearin into the radio..

If you're really, really anal about it, and it keeps you awake at night, and you're getting all neurotic about it... it's a real easy fix.

I don't know what rig it is, but they all have an SSB Carrier Balance pot on the board. While gazing lovingly at your watt meter, carefully adjust the pot for minimum carrier.

Dat's it, dat's awl, as my Quebecois friends like to say.

A little carrier on an ssb signal will not hurt a thing. If it keeps you awake at night or your buddies point and laugh try the balanced modulator adjustment as mentioned.

There are shortwave sideband stations which transmit with carrier. It provides phase information for proper demodulation.

If you're really, really anal about it, and it keeps you awake at night, and you're getting all neurotic about it... it's a real easy fix.

I don't know what rig it is, but they all have an SSB Carrier Balance pot on the board. While gazing lovingly at your watt meter, carefully adjust the pot for minimum carrier.

Dat's it, dat's awl, as my Quebecois friends like to say.

What he said.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.