• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question for the older CB'ers here

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
What is your opinion of the old Robyn line of radios?

I have 23 channels Robyn base & a 23 channel Robyn mobil from that time period that I bought new during the cb craze of the 70's. They have been in storage for about 20 yrs now but I'd like to get them out and see if they work.

With all the time that has past in the CB field any suggestion at all on anything about CB's and/or my radios.

DON'T HOLD BACK GUYS 'CAUSE I NEED SOME NAKED TRUTH HERE TO NOT WASTE MONEY . (y)

Do they work?
They were a great radio in their day. But having a radio that can use 38 lower side band has been the standard for years - if you want to do some serious talking - IMO...

They were OK radios. What do you mean you don't want to waste money on them?

If they don't work, it's always worth it to make MINOR repairs to get them ready to talk or sell.

23 ch AMs-only are not bringing that much money on ebay. These are not Trams or Brownings. But you can get something for them or just enjoy talking on them yourself. Just don't look to get rich thinking you have some wildly collectible radios or something. Maybe $50 a piece if they are in good condition and work 100% as should.

If anyone on here thinks they're worth more....see if they will buy them from you
128fs318181.gif

Good luck!

They were OK radios. What do you mean you don't want to waste money on them?

If they don't work, it's always worth it to make MINOR repairs to get them ready to talk or sell.
Like anything else there's the good , the bad, and the ugly. If I remember right the Old Robyns were just ok for getting out. Then there's the sad fact that CB radios where I live it could be tough to get even a minor repair done if they need it which is why I don't want waste money on them if they were one of the "ugly" compared to other radios of their day. If that happens I put any repair money into a new radio.

I won't be able to test them until spring so I'm trying now to quantify the perceived quality of Robyn radios. By the way, I find that as popular as CB's were it's harder than finding hens teeth to find info on the old CB's online.

Thanks

Anymore info to offer? Anyone?

When they are working right, they are fantastic talkers, very LOUD! Robyn bases are also quite popular and often bring phenominal $ when they sell. I have 3, one mint yellow robyn with the original mic and manual, one mint green robyn in the original box, and one rough yellow robyn that looks rough but works great. I like em if ya cant tell.:whistle: When I have had them in the past and got rid of one, I always regretted it.

Now I will sit back and wait for the ribbing.:pop:

PR

I won't rib ya about the Robyns since I have owned darn near all of them, wish I had never parted with them to tell the truth, but I gave in to "Peer Pressure".... I am sooo weak! ;)
I even had a Robyn 520D, THAT was a loud radio! like I said, wish I never parted with them! Okay, so now I can wait for the ribbing too Packrat!

There's a local here that had an old Robyn 23 channel radio that I offered to buy many years go. He had some extra crystals with it so he could talk on the popular local frequencies that were not in the lower 23. It was one of the best sounding AM CB rigs I have ever heard, which is why I wanted it. I don't remember what model it was, but I still wouldn't mind owning something like that.

As far as what has been stated here about FCC rules on the old 23 channel radios there is a lot of Tram 23 ch. and Brownings around here. And i don't think them people really care about a law that was put into affect so many years ago.

Thanks for this.

After reading the linked thread it all sorta came back to me why I stopped using the 23 ch Robyn's in the first place. I couldn't afford the new 40 ch when my 23 ch still worked! (Four boys at home to raise at the time too!) Got ticked off to the point I just quit.

Now that so much time has passed , and finding out my 23 ch are STILL illegal, I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I'm not much on being a scofflaw but if my Robyn's still work I might tinker with them again.

One thing is very different today than when I stopped using CB's is I can afford whatever I want to buy today! Kids are grown and all doing well. No debt anywhere and enough money to play with as long as I'm careful.

It's just that now I feel that I'm :bdh: to even mess with the old 23 ch's.

Last edited:
The rules on the use of 23 channel CB radios are not clear, but I believe they are legal to use. Why do I say this?

First, the rules expressly state that it is a violation to manufacture or sell them. However, no rules says they cannot be used.

47 CFR 95.603 states:

(c) Each CB transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended
to operate at a station authorized in the CB) must be certificated. No
CB transmitter certificated pursuant to an application filed prior to
September 10, 1976, shall be manufactured or marketed.

Second, the rules still have standards relating to the power levels of unwanted emissions for radios typed accepted prior to 1976. There would be no reason to keep those standards if the radios were illegal to make, sell or use.

47 CFR 95.635 states:

CB............................ A1D, A3E.............. (1), (3), (8),
(9).
H1D, J1D, R1D, H3E, (2), (4), (8),
J3E, R3E. (9).
A1D, A3E type accepted (1), (3), (7).
before September 10,
H1D,J1D, R1D, H3E, (2), (4), (7).
J3E, R3E type
accepted before
September 10, 1986.

Doesn't mean the FCC won't try and fine you for using a 23 channel radio, despite it being type accepted. They seem to be pretty fine happy these days.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.