• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Questions about issue with new install.

Hard to say. Do you have a cb shop local? If your swr was like 2 or even 2.5 I would say drop the maul but being that high tells me there is a problem. Probably in the amp. A good cb shop could test for reflecting power.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How do I determine?
For what it is worth, it is a brand new wilson 1000 mag mount.

And we've finally found the problem. You cannot run 500W through an antenna mounted using a magmount. First of all the coax isn't capable of handling 500W so part of your problem is the insulation in the coax isn't up to the job so you've got arcing internally in the coax. Secondly the magmount doesn't have enough capacitive coupling to give a good ground.

This is what trying to make 500W work with a magmount is:

:bdh:

Now we've got that out of the way, how to sort it? Your only option is to drill a hole in the roof and put in a fixed mount if you ever want a chance of making this work properly. You're also going to want to be doing a load of bonding as well.

My own thought is your radio puts out 80W. That's all you need. Whats the difference between 80W and 500W? Maybe 1 and a half S points on the meter. But as you're finding out the hard way, running a 500W amp requires a hell of a lot more doing than just throwing a magmount on the roof. Absolutely everything has to be top notch with the antenna installation.

And we've finally found the problem. You cannot run 500W through an antenna mounted using a magmount. First of all the coax isn't capable of handling 500W so part of your problem is the insulation in the coax isn't up to the job so you've got arcing internally in the coax. Secondly the magmount doesn't have enough capacitive coupling to give a good ground.

This is what trying to make 500W work with a magmount is:

:bdh:

Now we've got that out of the way, how to sort it? Your only option is to drill a hole in the roof and put in a fixed mount if you ever want a chance of making this work properly. You're also going to want to be doing a load of bonding as well.

My own thought is your radio puts out 80W. That's all you need. Whats the difference between 80W and 500W? Maybe 1 and a half S points on the meter. But as you're finding out the hard way, running a 500W amp requires a hell of a lot more doing than just throwing a magmount on the roof. Absolutely everything has to be top notch with the antenna installation.

Thanks. I am actually looking for a good permanent roof mount. Although, it seems everyone points to the wilson 5000 roof mount.. but I am a little hesitant at this point to go with another Wilson product.

Seeing that you are saying the magmount is not suitable for that power range, yet Wilson markets the 1000 antenna, including the mag mount version to handle 1000watts. I understand the antenna may be fully capable of the advertised wattage, but if the "System" as delivered is not going to support the advertised wattage, then I would consider their information misleading and will not do any further business with the company.

So what would be the recommended permanent mount antenna for my setup?

Seeing that you are saying the magmount is not suitable for that power range, yet Wilson markets the 1000 antenna, including the mag mount version to handle 1000watts.

CB antenna manufacturers make all kinds of bullshit claims. There is no way in hell their magmount will handle 1000W quite simply because the coax isn't rated for 1000W or anywhere even close. Its about 400W max into a 1:1 matched antenna.

The Sirio 5000 Performer and their fixed mount is the way to go. You could get the Sirio 5000PL and then go to Breedlove Mounts and get one of their hand built SO239 mounts. Yes they're $35 upwards but you'll only ever need to buy one once. Their Model #100 is even made for the Wilson 5000 if you want to use one of those. You have to provide your own coax but at least you can use something that has a power rating that's suitable for what you want to do.

First of all the coax isn't capable of handling 500W so part of your problem is the insulation in the coax isn't up to the job so you've got arcing internally in the coax.
Poor insulation makes the coax arc internally? How many "arcs" before the coax is destroyed?

So a Wilson 1000 won't handle 1000w, but a Sirio 5000 will handle 5000w? Only Wilson does marketing ploys? They are all guilty, similar to power supply manufacturers. You need to pay attention to the continuous and intermittent ratings.

While I am not convinced that the coax will not handle 500 watts without arcing I will agree that the magmount will not handle 500 watts very well at all. I have seen paint blistered and burned underneath a magmount antenna that was being run with an Ameritron ALS-500M mobile amplifier.That kind of power level just begs for a solid ground connection and not just capacitive coupling.

Are we talking insulation or dielectric? Either way, I don't see the coax being the problem either.

Magnet mounts? I think some installs may work and others not. I've never used one so I'm not privy to the nuances or care to research it.

While I don't necessarily disagree because I don't have enough experience to disagree. I have to say that I run 500 watts threw a Wilson 5000 mag mount everyday with no problems for months now.

With that being said I have a Predator 10k on the way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well I hope to put the antenna issue in the rear view.
I ordered a sirio 5000 and a perm. roof mount. Plan to use some LMR-400 ultraflex. If this don't put an end to any antenna issues, I don't know what will...lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.