• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Questions about issue with new install.

I haven't read all the posts but it seems you are running a amp into a amp not good something will burn up probably the 500 watt amp first. Also if you are serious about your radio as I think you are you need to get a fixed mount antenna. I have 2 trucks using my TOOL BOX for the ANTENNA MOUNT and 2 Cobra 29's doing 2 1/2 watts with amps rated at 120 watts it really is much simpler to run like this and remember the biggest concern you should have is the antenna this is where it all comes down to. Good luck

Poor insulation makes the coax arc internally? How many "arcs" before the coax is destroyed?

Who knows?

So a Wilson 1000 won't handle 1000w, but a Sirio 5000 will handle 5000w? Only Wilson does marketing ploys? They are all guilty, similar to power supply manufacturers. You need to pay attention to the continuous and intermittent ratings.

Did I say only Wilson does marketing ploys? You must be one of those fanboy type people.

While I don't necessarily disagree because I don't have enough experience to disagree. I have to say that I run 500 watts threw a Wilson 5000 mag mount everyday with no problems for months now.

No. You think you run 500W through the magmount without an issue but I can guarantee you've got a ton of common mode problems. I bet you've got a ground strap running from the radio or the amp to the car and that if you removed those you'd find you had all kinds of issues, issues that wouldn't exist with a fixed mount installation. The need for those ground straps shows you've an issue. Using them just masks it.

No. You think you run 500W through the magmount without an issue but I can guarantee you've got a ton of common mode problems. I bet you've got a ground strap running from the radio or the amp to the car and that if you removed those you'd find you had all kinds of issues, issues that wouldn't exist with a fixed mount installation. The need for those ground straps shows you've an issue. Using them just masks it.

Like I said I don't necessarily disagree. I have ordered a hard mount antenna. I was just sharing my experience. The only ground straps I have are those that came stock on my vehicle. Meh maybe I'm just lucky, or like you said problems are just being masked some how.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Am update my situation.
Problem I am trying to solve:
Post Linear SWR with linear off = 1.2
Post linear SWR with linear on = >3+ in the red.

I have changed from a wilson 1000 magnetic mount to a breadlove permanent roof mount. Added 1" braided ground straps from batteries to both front chassis, frame to cab x 2, and frame to exhaust pipe.

Absolutely NO change.

I have a sirio 5000 antenna on order and a Ameritron AWM-35H meter on order to rule out antenna or meter.

I am starting to lean towards the linear as the cause. What can/do I need to check in the linear?

To add:
If I use the variable power on the linear, with the variable all the way down, SWR = 2
half way SWR = 2.5
Variable Full on SWR = 3
Linear full on, variable off SWR = >3

Last edited:
Find a shop that has a calibrated spectrum analyzer and a technician who knows how to use it properly. Have him check the output of the amplifier, preferably right where it is installed.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.