• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

quick antenna question

southerntrucker

rebel child
Jan 29, 2012
texas, the good ole south
Ok. Iv got a magnum s6 and im wanting to run dual cb antennas. The antennas i plan on using are 2 k40 coil antennas. The ones that look like the 10k's. Anywhoo, my dad said that if i run dual antennas with this radio that it would mess it up. I dont think it will but i just wanted to get some advice form some of yall that have experience doing things like this. Thanks fellas.

Southerntrucker

don't know why dual antennas would mess up the radio..thats new to me..but
i like a single antenna better than 2 I like the pattern better it is a little wider and less directional than 2..anyone else

Reactions: 1 person
The only advantage to using dual/phased antennas is that the radiation pattern becomes directional. If that suits your purposes then do so. Most of the rest of the stuff you hear about phased antennas is mostly what you'd spread on a garden to make things grow. Any 'gain' realized is always at the expense of not having as much 'gain' in other directions, it isn't increased it's only shifted around.
Lot's of misconceptions about them so I guess you'll just have to try it ands see if it's what you wanted. Something to think about is how do you keep that directional radiation pattern pointed in the right direction??
- 'Doc

It would decrease the signal level in two directions and increase it in two directions. Guess it just depends on how you had the thing 'aimed'. It isn't a very 'sharp' type of directional thing, not an all or nothing thingy. There's still signal on the 'off sides', just not as much. Lot's of variables in 'how much' increase/decrease in signal, distance between the two antennas, the antennas them selves, where they are mounted, and the color of the socks you are wearing probably.
- 'Doc

The only advantage to using dual/phased antennas is that the radiation pattern becomes directional. If that suits your purposes then do so. Most of the rest of the stuff you hear about phased antennas is mostly what you'd spread on a garden to make things grow. Any 'gain' realized is always at the expense of not having as much 'gain' in other directions, it isn't increased it's only shifted around.
Lot's of misconceptions about them so I guess you'll just have to try it ands see if it's what you wanted. Something to think about is how do you keep that directional radiation pattern pointed in the right direction??
- 'Doc

I think the bull haulers got all this dual antenna stuff started.

Ok. Iv got a magnum s6 and im wanting to run dual cb antennas. The antennas i plan on using are 2 k40 coil antennas. The ones that look like the 10k's. Anywhoo, my dad said that if i run dual antennas with this radio that it would mess it up. I dont think it will but i just wanted to get some advice form some of yall that have experience doing things like this. Thanks fellas.

Southerntrucker

I've ran co-phased antennas on a semi truck and they're directional front to rear for the most part but a single antenna works better for long distance and for general terrain scenarios.

But the duals sure do look cool huh? :D

Lol. This is always a good place to come for ah good laugh. Haa. Again, thanks for all the help/info. And yes dual antennas do look cool. Lol. I currently have two on my ttruck. But the other k40 is a dummy cause the end where u put the coax in is missing. So i just put a bolt in it and mounted it on a bracket. And i thin it has a wilson whip in it?? Owell its close enough. :D but i guess ill try the whole dual antenna thing and see how well it works for me. Just wanted to get some other opnions from people that has used this kind of set up before. Take care, truckers gone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.