• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio and amp

rustyc

Oct 30, 2011
thinking about a 2x2897 trucker amp going with a uniden 78 what do i need to know about this combo what can i expect radio has been tweeked and tuned

they dont say anything about the drive...if they low drive and your uniden is cranked they may not work for too long

what kind of output is your uniden supposed to put out after tweaking? this way the forum can help you decide on an amp to run with it.

It's your standard class C comp style 2 pill, Rustyc they are actually 2879 finals. As long as the radio dead keys 2-3 watts and can swing 18-25 watts you should be just fine. That fatboy could probably handle up to 5-6 watts carrier but I don't like doing that. Plus since it does not have a fan no sense overheating the thing.

Hey RustyC, 250w will be a good loud setup.
if your into SSB get the uniden grant XL to drive that linear.

Reactions: 1 person

In my collection I have a Uniden Grant XL and it has a mild peak and tune.......I just use it for SSB. Doesn't do big watts but it is never the less blaring loud on AM with the original stock mic. I have it set to do 10 watts on SSB, can't be beat. If you got one you would be never sell it!

The last amp I would run with such a fine SSB radio like a Grant xl would be a class C amp that says Trucker on it. LOL. I doubt it even has a SSB delay unless you pay extra.

Reactions: 1 person
The last amp I would run with such a fine SSB radio like a Grant xl would be a class C amp that says Trucker on it. LOL. I doubt it even has a SSB delay unless you pay extra.

:laugh: Most truckers around here just run small amps if they run an amp at all.

fatboy also makes a competion 2x2879 amp radio pushes about 30 watts going to send it toscrewdrive at bells for amatch

how did this become a double thread, looks like u guys migrated over to the other thread.
Truckers here in California run serious power for the most part. only a few have i talk to running barefoot.

how did this become a double thread, looks like u guys migrated over to the other thread.
Truckers here in California run serious power for the most part. only a few have i talk to running barefoot.

I'm a tender foot so I choose to wear choose.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.