• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Fan Noise

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
I have a 2005 F350 6.0 Diesel and the radio picks up no noise until I turn on the fan motor. I can here it pick up speed when I turn the fan up. Is there something that I can get to eliminate this noise? :?:

They sell noise choppers and cords that have filters in them I believe those are sold by RF LIMITED the company that makes the Magnum Radios

Try disconecting the coax from the radio and see if you still have the noise. If so try a filter in the power cord, if not try a filter in the coax or you can also try moving your antenna and coax, that has helped me before.

Mobile Radio Interference
Here's a problem that has been escalating as the automobile industry brings out the newer models. Computers that aren't shielded, electric fans that replace the old belt driven ones, electric fuel pumps, and higher output alternators all of which have less than adequate RFI filtering. The RF emissions from the devices can cut your receive range substantially. And why listen to any more noise than you have to.

Before any action can be taken the cause needs to be narrowed down. Disconnect the antenna with the vehicle running. If all the noise goes away it's RF and coming in through the antenna. If you hear a whine that increases in pitch when the engine is revved up, it's coming through the power leads. Run the power connection to the battery and if that doesn't work use a power line filter (LM-P-10) in the positive lead at the radio.

Radiated interference that is received through the antenna can be reduced or eliminated in many ways. I've found that the use of a Wilson 1000 antenna reduced interference on half and cured the problem on the other half of the tests made at my store. A popping sound that increased with the speed of the engine is ignition noise. Insure that your vehicle has suppresser plug and wires. Wires may need replacement, one bad wire can create an intermittent problem. Install a LM-20RF on the battery side of the ignition coil.

This is the most common new problem, Electric fuel pump whistle. It's a steady hashy whistle as soon as the ignition is turned on. Fords are the worst offenders. The fuel pump is in the tank. Locate the positive and negative feed lines and install a LM-20RF on each line. Mount the filters to a good chassis ground cleaned to bare metal. Test and make sure you have the feed lines and not the fuel level indicator leads.

A less common problem is the radiator fan interference. It causes an audible static when the fan is running. Disconnect the fan to verify the problem, if it's a culprit install a LM-20RF in line with the power lead.

These LM-20RF filters will work with other motors such as the heater blower motor and the windshield wiper motor. ©CBWI

More information and these products are available from:

MTI Land Mobile Division PART# MSRP
Marine Technology, Inc. LM-P10 $25.95
2667 E. 28th Street, #505 LM-20F $10.95
Signal Hill, CA 90806 LM-25ORF $27.95
(800) 772-0796, (310) 595-6521 LM-TVX2 $37.95

From what I understand , these are the best it gets . The local Forum Tech DTB sells them. Damn !! I hate car noise in my radios :(

Ouch ! I'd learn to live with the noise or have a better radio to fight it or give up the hobby completely , 40 bucks and rising !! , I use to see many ads for them on the Net , but now I don't , so maybe they ain't making them no more as DTB said ? Hey S-55 ? I think you said you had a Cobra 25 LTD ? , Wow !! if you got noise that bad with that radio ,I'd say you had it bad then :( 25s tend to have very good built in ANLs and Noise blankers in them. What antenna are you using ? Some are better then others. Good luck to you , noise like that can usually be good enough for me to not even turn it on if it's that bad.

I have a Fender Mount and a Hustler HQ-27 Antenna. The radio is grounded to the Chaise and the power line goes directly to my battery. I just put in my friends CB that I have until my Cobra can be fixed or replaced and the fan noise is the same. :? I guess I will have to purchase the filter to get rid of the noise. One more CB experience to get over! :roll:

I will check it out first thing Sat. I ran the power line directly to one battery for the cb radio. Then I ran a ground to the inside fender to the cb radio. I will also run a ground to the antenna mount on the fender. Do I have to run a ground to the radio because it is installed to a plastic dash?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.