• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Fan Noise

55 ? Was the noise just as bad on your Cobra 25 that you were first using ? Park is right , noise in a radio surely has a way of being a royal pain in the butt for a few different reasons. :(

Yeap the 25s filter well , Sounds like you have the noise pretty bad then 55 that would surely make it rough on me as well , I can just wish you the best of luck in hopes you can figure out something for yourself there. As was said before , there's a good possiblity of a antenna change might be of a serious help to you ? You may not got rid of all of it , but enough for you to be a little bit more comfortable with your radios receive. They say the Wilson 1Ks and 5Ks can help a lot in situations like your own . I run a 5K drill through in my car and yes I have engine noise through my antenna , and I can here my electric fan when it comes on depending on how quit it is out there , I capped the hot wire of the fan but it really didn't help much , maybe a little , but not much. other then that , I just run my noise blankers on the radio and it is good enough for me , if it wasn't ? I truly doubt I would be using it very much at all. (The blankers work good enough in my case , I feel very lucky because I know it could always be worse.)

I will purchase everything I can to get rid of this noise. This spring I will add a Wilson 5000 to my roof. I purchased the fender mount and Hustler to get me through the winter. I hate winter! I work outside in it and on weekends I will not be outside in the cold and damp weather. Untill then I have my truck at work in a heated truck barn with heat to work on it. The CB will be installed to the headliner. All of this pain in the neck problems have me a little pissed now but I will work the bugs out. After I have more Radio experance then I will install my roof mounted antenna.This is just a start for me in cb installation problems and money spent. I will have a good CB Radio in my truck and it will work and there will be no noise. Even if I have to trade in my Ford and get a Dodge.

I hear you the there 55 , My mom has a 92 Pontiac Sunbird (I think that's what it is) anyway , I've used a radio and magmount on her car a few times , NO NOISE AT ALL ! NONE ! I can run the radio with the blankers off ! SWEET !! The other thing about her car that blows me away is that it's only a 4 cylinder but yet it has 120 amp alternator in it !! You could really run a nice sized amp off of that ! unlike my car that only has a 60 amp alt which is also a 4 banger. go figure

Try to figure out where the noise is coming in from... if its coming in the power wire, twist the wires together like a twisted pair as tight a you can (a drill works good). Then you can get some sort of torroid or I 've heard a titanium drill bit works ( I've never tried it though) and wrap the wire around the torroid as much as you can or the drill bit (if you want to try it)--- try to get the wrap as close to the radio as you can. Sometimes adding a .01 accross the pos. and neg. connectors in the radio will help but most radios have it already.
If your getting it through the coax.... you pretty much have to track it down and silence the unit making the noise.

It can be a real pain to track down... you can use a piece of coax with the sheild pulled off (about 2 inches of sheilding pulled off the end) and plug the other end into the radio and use it to track down the noisey item. A handheld both with or without the antenna will work great too.
But its a real pain to figure out and cure the problem sometimes but a fan is not so bad... anything with an oscillator in it can cause a headache.
You can find alot of info if you search around
Take care

I put a line filter on today and the fan noise is still bad. When I unplugged the heater fan it stopped. I also ran a ground to the antenna. This made no difference. I want to add ceramic disc's to the fan as soon as I can find them Radio Shack is out of stock. :x :evil: :oops: :cry:

I did notice there is no radio noise but the fan. I had a small amount of noise in the background but now it is gone. At least the cost of the line filter was not a waste! It was fun installing it and I also put the ground from the fender to the battery. I also ran a ground to the antenna mount. I still have to find the ceramic disc's still!

DTB RADIO you told me what my outcome was going to be about six days before I did the change. I did it and got the results you told me. The fan noise is not in the line, it's picking up the antenna noise in the antenna. But it was a good lesson in CB installation. Thank you for the capacitor trick for my fan.

Hey Skirk , How do you put the capacitors on a fan or windshield wiper motor ? Please be real specific ....I am not very technically gifted ! I have a wiper motor with an intermittant wiper control that creates 8 # of signal on my receive ! MAn this thing is driving me NUTS !!!!

Many times with DC motors, the problem with them generating noise is because the brushes are worn or broken. Might not hurt to replace them before you attach the capacitors. The capacitors would just mask the real problem.

Thanks Beetle , I'll look into that . but, if I'm not mistaken on one of our units the wiper motor has been making noise since the tractor was NEW . I guess the brushes could have been broken though from the factory. I wouldn't doubt that , one of the assembly guys might have dropped the wiper motor on the floor before installing on the tractor.
If I put the caps on the supply wires ....exactly how are these put in line . I know caps have an arrow on them to the ground side & that is about all I know ! NONE of the tech guys in my area do any mobile installs anymore they just sell products and give "limited instructions" if you know what I mean.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.