• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio for beginner?

parker420

Dec 21, 2005
Kentucky
Hello, I am looking at the HAM world, what would be a good all around starter radio? (base)I would want to talk to the 10m cb guys also (is that legal)? ..... I have been suggested a Yaesu 840 & a Icom 718.... yes, i'd like to stay as close to $500 as possible for the radio itself. 2nd, what is the best antenna for the $ .... Will the IMAX 2000 work for these?

Thanks in Advance :D

There are many radios that will suit your purpose and for that price range. Here is a link to a couple different sites. There are many radios for sale on these sites. QRZ.com and QTH.com. An IMAX is not the best antenna for HAM. It will work on the 10 meter band that's all. investigate antennas well, they will make your station.

parker420 said:
Hello, I am looking at the HAM world, what would be a good all around starter radio? (base)I would want to talk to the 10m cb guys also (is that legal)? ..... I have been suggested a Yaesu 840 & a Icom 718.... yes, i'd like to stay as close to $500 as possible for the radio itself. 2nd, what is the best antenna for the $ .... Will the IMAX 2000 work for these?

Consider used radios. I started out buying used, and they were a blast. You can find good used rigs in the $250-$400 range.

parker420 said:

Well, first of all - you need an Amateur Radio Operator's license to operate on amateur radio. You get one by taking and passing one or more exams. You may buy any ham radio you like but using it to transmit will depend on which level amateur license you have.

You can get a lot of info on-line at the arrl.org website.

The 10 meter band is strictly for licensed hams with a Morse code test. And a licensed ham may not talk to unlicenced stations. The "CB operators" on ten meters are there illegally without licenses, and may not be contacted for any reason by licensed operators.

So, bottom line is: You need a license to talk on 10 meters and your license does not allow talking to unlicensed stations. Either way, you break the rules. But listening is fine. You may listen anyplace, just don't talk.

Regarding the antenna...

The Imax isn't going to cut it for HF purposes on anything other than a fixed band (whichever one you set it for) between 17 meters and 10 meters. If you think you want a vertical, there are several out there that are 10-80 meters that will work. You can also make your own (or buy them, if you don't have the time) wire antennas pretty cheap. Take a look at the online catalog on www.hamradio.com for some antenna ideas, or feel free to bounce some questions off of us here.

TwistedTransistor said:
Can a Tech use a radio that can be used on HF? The Icom 706mkiig looks like a great radio, hate to buy twice.

Sure, you can use a radio with HF bands on it, but you have to use it within the limits of your license. If you were a Tech, you can legally use all ham freqs above 30 mhz so a radio with HF plus VHF and UHF can be used on V/UHF legally by a Tech.. And yes, you won't need to buy 2 radios when you upgrade.

And you can LISTEN anyplace! Even without a license. You can't talk without the license but you can monitor anything you want. I came into ham radio (not "HAM") as a Novice and I bought an HF radio before I got my license and I listened to EVERYTHING! And after I got my call, I was already informed about how the hams on the Novice bands worked. FCC doesn't give Novice licenses out any longer. The codeless Tech replaced it. But you can listen to anything and everything.

And too, A radio with HF as well as V/UHF has a number of modes with it including SSB and Techs can work SSB. Many Techs are into 6 meter DX'ing and 6 can get really hot at times there when the band is open.

Can a Tech use a radio that can be used on HF? The Icom 706mkiig looks like a great radio, hate to buy twice.

(good post Bandaid)

You can have a radio that covers whatever as long as you use it to Tx within your class of license and it meets certain emission standards.
You can change over or modify old business band or Gov`t surplus radios for use on amateur frequencys.
The first 2 meter repeater we set up was a old Motorola VHF business band radio, split the Tx and Rx, changed the rocks (crystals) worked super.
You can even convert CB radios for use on 10 or 12 meters, all within the rules.
Heck you can even roll your own.

The 706 is a nice rig, also look at the Yaesu FT 857D, I have the 897D and love it.
It is very nice having a all band/all mode compact radio that works just as well as a base, or at a remote campsite.

Jeff

You can get a lot of info on-line at the arrl.org website.

The 10 meter band is strictly for licensed hams with a Morse code test. And a licensed ham may not talk to unlicenced stations. The "CB operators" on ten meters are there illegally without licenses, and may not be contacted for any reason by licensed operators.

So, bottom line is: You need a license to talk on 10 meters and your license does not allow talking to unlicensed stations. Either way, you break the rules. But listening is fine. You may listen anyplace, just don't talk.

73[/quote]

And despite what *some* people say, the hams CAN ignore the illegal "cb" stations and talk OVER them to each other! Just not TO the illegals! :D

CWM

And despite what *some* people say, the hams CAN ignore the illegal "cb" stations and talk OVER them to each other!

to each other. Does that include your one way cw without intending to qso with anyone ? except to just jam? Just to be fair Jerry, those "*some* people" are fellow hams.
I thought you didn't want to discuss this ?

I wasn't going to say any thing because i thought they pretty well had your answer covered but as to "talking over" that is not good amatuer pracctice whether they are legal or not. That is still intentinal interferance. The bast is to ie them and try to identify them for corective action ie. an official observer or a call to the monitor stattion. We need to promote good amature practice to draw more people in not lower our selves to there practices. And as far as your original question you can own any radio you can afford and listen any where you want just not broadcast in any portion of the band you don't hold a ticket for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.