• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack DX-394 ?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
I'm wondering how well the DX-394 performs over my analog DX-160? I really like that everything on the DX-160 uses potentiometers and simple slide switches for modes, and operation. Iv been thinking about purchasing a DX-394 because, it's newer and would be nice to have a Digital Communication Receiver made by the same manufacturer next to my older rig. I have the DX-160 mint, DX-100 mint (total waste of $30, Maybe with some mod's i'm going to do maybe it might be a little better).

SO besides the mods for the DX-394 is it worth the asking prices on eBay? IMHO I'd pay about $105(no mods) up to $180 (with mods). Iv been watching most of the videos on YouTube™ That iv watched seem pretty cool and i like that it can also go down to VLF(?).

Attachments

• DX-394.jpg
    DX-394.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • dx160-ad-color.gif
    dx160-ad-color.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 500

If you've done the research on the radio and you want it just buy it. If it doesn't perform the way you like then sell it. I tried a bunch of the old Rat shack receivers and all were mediocre at best.

Personally I'd look for an old Kenwood ts-430s or ts-140s. They have excellent receivers for sw reception . I use a ts-140s as a general coverage receiver and I don't think I'll ever part with it.

My personal opinion,and this is based on nothing more than experience BTW, :laugh: is that most modern day SW radios made in the last 20 years or so can't hold a candle to the table top models of yesteryear or a decent amateur radio. My Kenwood R-1000 is about as basic as it gets yet it is a highly sought after radio. Many years ago I was going to trade it in on something else and the dealer was quite eager for me to do so. I then found out that he had a waiting list of people wanting one and figured that I better keep it if it was sought after that bad. By far the best receiver I ever owned was in my Icom IC-735 transceiver. Triple conversion and bulletproof front-end coupled with a good low noise preamp,IF shift, passband tuning, and IF notch meant for a great receiver. Nothing really beat the old Collins R-390 I used for a while but at about 60 pounds and all tubes it was a beast and a half and SSB tuning was not as fine as I would have liked but AM was great. Personally I would look for something like a Kenwood R-1000. Avoid the R-5000 like the plague. Synthesizer noise leaking out and getting picked up by the receiver was a real problem with them. It was hit or miss if you got a good one. The Icom R-70/71 series are great and even the old Yaesu FRG-7 or newer FRG-7700 or FRG-8800 are great as well. Personally I do not like any of today's SW radios having had experience with REAL SW rigs that were designed for serious listening and not for sticking in a suitcase to take on vacation somewhere. I don't do much SWL'ing today but my next SW purchase will be a Kenwood R-820 which is arguable one of the BEST receiver ever made other than five figure radios for the military/government users. It will mate perfectly with my TS-820S transceiver and be a handsome addition to my shack. All I have to do is find one at a decent price as they are going for a premium IF you can find one.

My bottom line is if it has a plastic case avoid it. Nothing really wrong with plastic it is just that that was about the time that quality started to be pushed aside in favour of price and portability.

Reactions: 2 people
The 394 is OK for the casual listener but is lacking for chasing DX. If you like to monitor utes, SSB RX sucks A$$ on these.

@class & imd. How about the kenwood r-2000 ? Im also considering a hf ham rig that has general coverage ( getting my Gen end of this year) so that way not only can I chase sw I can also chase dx !

★ Sent from my Droid★

My gut feeling is that no matter what we suggest or say you will end up doing whatever you want too in the end anyway. My gut is rarely wrong. Right now it says I am hungry. I am going for a snack.

Reactions: 1 person
My gut feeling is that no matter what we suggest or say you will end up doing whatever you want too in the end anyway. My gut is rarely wrong. Right now it says I am hungry. I am going for a snack.

Hmm....Im up to suggestions. Same here, getting chickity Chinese food (^_^)

★ Sent from my Droid★

Picked up a dx-394 over the weekend. Did the anti chuff mod, so far I like the radio. Still on the hunt for a r-2000(y) (r-1000 to $ for me right now).

★☆ Sent from Xoom☆★

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.