• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack Scanners

NorthStar

Administrator
Mar 21, 2005
Radio Shack has some inexpensive scanners that look to offer alot of features for the buck. Thinking of a Pro 433 here.

GRE scanners seem to perform fairly well just don't look as appealing as the Unidens but they are also more affordable.

GRE vs. Uniden is about the same as Chevy vs. Ford, it is personal preferance.I own a RS Pro 2004, 2005, 2006 and a 2042 made by GRE and they all are great scanners. i also have a 780 XLT and some other old school Uniden scanners and they work just as good as the GRE's.

I have several RAT SHACK scanners and never had a problem. I have a pro 2032 in my ham shack that hasn't been turned off for maybe 6 years just turn the volume down or up. It's on a big gel cell battery. I also have a handheld pro 82. Both are great. The 2032 I think is 2000 channels and the 82 is 200. Dont need all that but you can put different "stuff" in different banks so you can be selective.

Warning...do not buy that crap "mag mount scanner antenna" from rat shack if they still offer it. It's the one with two coils in it. Makes a good paper weight of dummy load :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

If you can locate local ham club they can tell you what freqs to monitor for bad weather or other emergency stuff. Do enter the local ham repeaters for the really bad stuff Usually around 145-147 in that range for vhf repeaters. There are a lot more uhf and stuff but check with locals for that info. I wouldn't buy those frequency manuals they do list some good freqs but they list many useless or no longer in service stuff.
Get the ham info and local police,fire,ems, freqs for emergency listening.:D

Enjoy:eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.