• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radioactive Radios - Connex 4400 turbo

fireman32_14

Jun 11, 2011
I know how everyone on here and most other forums talk down on radioactive radios.. i was uninformed at one point before i found this good forum and bought one.. by the looks of the website i thought they would be a good place to buy a radio from.. this is before i found out the good places were sparkys and customcbradios but anyway.. i had already put the order in for this one. i ordered it with the superwhackpack phase II, super RX, and an amp on/off switch. it took 3 weeks to arrive, mike said he was extremely busy lol. he was quite a talker on the phone. now as far as the radio goes, i hooked it up in my silverado, power from the battery of course and hooked to my wilson 1000 magnetic mount on the roof. hooked my radioshack swr/power meter up to it and got the swr's down to 1.3 or lower on all channels. flipped it to the power side, radio did 25 watts dead key swinging to about 150-160 PEP. now for an audio test. i hooked up my road king 56 and put the mic gain at 2 oclock, since thats what mike said to set it at on the paper he sent with it. i tested it with my dads little uniden and it seemed to have good, loud audio and good clear recieve, now if i turned the mic gain above the 2 oclock position it would overdrive/overmodulate and not sound clear but as long as i kept it at 2 oclock or lower it was good. this is my experience with radioactive lol.. guess i got lucky lol

forums and such.. i didnt mean it as they were the only good places i just ment it as they are the most talked about places that are good (better than radioactive) to buy a radio from online. from what i hear there are many good shops out there and radioactive just seems to be the one place everyone says stay away from

forums and such.. i didnt mean it as they were the only good places i just ment it as they are the most talked about places that are good (better than radioactive) to buy a radio from online. from what i hear there are many good shops out there and radioactive just seems to be the one place everyone says stay away from

I'd say all the of the shops you mention are on the same level.

what is a decent shop to buy from these days? im going to be buying another radio to go in my jeep.. what is a good AM radio with loud audio and good ears that you guys would recomend

Any of the below in any order.

Custom cb Radio

Bob's cb

Sparky's cb

DTB Radio - and a forum member

8541 Electronics (Richard)

I am sure there are others that also do good work. Any of the above are head and shoulders better Radiohacktive.

Preacher power!

Can't remember where now, but came across www.powerbypreacher.com, with encouraging feedback. Anyone had dealings with him? Or his amps?

Maybe he's worth adding to 9C1Drivers list.

Have bought from DTB Radio before and very happy with his work. My next rig will be a RCI 2970N2, which will probably come from DTB also. It's the kind of rig you want to be tuned right, the first time!

73's

:)

never again

i would never again fall for radioactives hack mods.
been there done that years ago.needless to say i sold it very fast.

Can't remember where now, but came across www.powerbypreacher.com, with encouraging feedback. Anyone had dealings with him? Or his amps?

Have bought from DTB Radio before and very happy with his work. My next rig will be a RCI 2970N2, which will probably come from DTB also. It's the kind of rig you want to be tuned right, the first time!

73's

A bible thumping preacher that builds illegal cb radio amplifiers. Awesome.

James from Pro Tech CB Shop used to claim to be the exclusive dealer for the preacher amps, but his web site (Pro Tech) went under a few months back. I think he might still be selling odds and ends on Fee Pay. I only read one post on another forum (cbrt) that Pro Tech was a sponsor at about the preacher amps and the guy had to send it back right after he got it for repairs. Other than that I haven't heard anything more about them.

73's

I've had 2 experiences, both good. Had a PC68XL upgraded to mosfet, Channel Guard installed & aligned & tuned. Had a PC78LTW aligned & tuned. Very happy with his work. My only negative is that he is so busy that his turnaround time is slow. If you look @ his website you'll see that he is well equipped & knowledgeable. I plan to get one of his amps in the future.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.