• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Random Length Wire Antenna

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
Is it possible to run coax out of the shack and then attach the center conductor to the random wire at a terminal?

I have a Dentron super tuner and want to string up a really long random wire, but my shack windows are a Florida style crank type aluminum, and would like to use coax to get just outside.

If so, would you ground the shield or just let it float?

How would I hook this sucker up? Any suggestions?

the method you are suggesting is the best way to keep rf out of the shack.
terminate the sheild to an outside ground and run the wire as long, high and clear of any obstacles as possible

You will also need a very good counterpoise, and the lower the frequency, the longer the counterpoise has to be (ideally in all directions, just like radials).

The tuner might help, but it can't do miracles.

As Beetle suggests, the shield needs to be connected to ground, but the ground needs to be more than just a ground rod. You need to bury some wire in the ground also.

Nope! Ain't gonna ask. Think I may still have the rags of that 'T'-shirt around here somewhere...
- 'Doc

longwire

Hello radiofriend,

I do use a longwire of about 55 feet in combination with a CG-3000 tuner in the mast: this really works great! My FT-2000 runs OK
Good luck with your hobby and hoping to meet you on the frequency!

Greetings from Holland,

Jan
PD2JHP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.