• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RANGER 2900 INFO *WANTED*

Yes and as far as help from Galaxy or RCIU forget it they seem to play stupid when it comes to these radios. I called them years ago about a Galaxy Saturn Turbo I aquired and was repairing. I called Galaxy and they claimed they didnt even know what that radio was they said try asking RCI about it since there name is on the boards.

I called RCI and guess what those @$$pipes pulled the same bull$h1+ and claimed they surely had nothing to do with that radio and new nothing about it. I was frustrated and furious at that point and I said look Galaxy has there name on the front of the rig and on the owners manual and it has your name RCI on the internal boards so who the hell is responsible for this rig??? I got the big I DONT KNOW SIR!!!

I then said goodbye and the next day took the radio to a huge radio shop that sold every tyupe of radio you could want and look for and traded it in on a Palomar 350Z tube amplifier I knew the owner well and explained what the deal was that the lights in the display wouldnt work even with new bulbs and when turning the VFO dial no matter which way you spun it it always went backwards in frequency and that I was done getting sweaty ear from talking on the damn phone and doing this :headbang trying to get answers and info on the radio and parts.

Ive never actually seen one of those 2900 would be cool to play with one of those Ill have to research that radio and if all looks ok Ill have to find one myself I have a Super Star 4900B Ide also like to get fixed but thats a whole nother bad chapter to my lifelong radio experinces novel :angry:

I would try behind the faceplate for the battery if you cant find one on either top or bottom of the main board.

I know the 2950/70 radios have their batteries located there.I would think that is a good place to start at

Review: RCI 2950DX Dual Band Amateur Radio

The RCI 2950 has been around for many years. The first radio of this type from Ranger Communications was the RCI 2900. The 2900 radio was a CPU type radio with an analog S/RF meter. Comparing the 2900 to the 2950, the meter was the only redeeming quality of the 2900. The 2900 radio was a complete failure. There were modifications on top of modifications to attempt to make these radios work. One was so extensive, it required numerous parts and circuitry changes, taking a couple of hours to complete. After all the upgrades, the radio was still not very good. In fact as soon as the 2950 was released they no longer recommended the upgrade, they suggested radio replacement. I imagine some 2900 owners received a free 2950 as a replacement if they complained loud enough.

I would try behind the faceplate for the battery if you cant find one on either top or bottom of the main board.

I know the 2950/70 radios have their batteries located there.I would think that is a good place to start at
Battery isn't there on or ANYWHERE in the RCI 2900 !!!!!!
Retro 73's

So did anybody discover that there is NOT a battery for memory in the RCI 2900 as my tech even took off the faceplate and only to not find it lol......... ODD or not it is what it is !!!!!!

Retro

I should say took apart and disassembled the whole front of the radio only to NOT find a battery like some folks says there is one but there sure isn't !!!!! He's no dummy either, he's been working radios for like 40 years and used to frequent this forum......

Retro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.