• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 2950dx, fitting an external signal meter jack socket.

multimode200

Banned
Jan 20, 2009
The signal meter on the 2950dx is a waste of time. Having fitted a external signal meter socket to my superstar 3900 by intercepting the dc current to the analog meter, i just wondered if there is anywhere on the ranger board where I could do the same. I realise it is a different board and the voltages are lower to drive the onboard digital meter than an analog meter, but is there any possible way of doing it? Any ideas anyone?

Ok the mod is now done, I contacted Ranger and they gave me the information. For the record there is an empty block on the board to the right of VR2 called J16. The block has 5 solder dots, the end one (the one named MT) carries the positive dc voltage for an external signal meter. I had to turn on the rig with the case off and find which terminal on J16 it was with a multimeter. The terminal gives between 100 and 1000mv depending on the signal strength which is enough to drive an analog meter. The ground can come from any good ground on the board.
Beats the hell out of the digital onboard meter using a half decent analog external meter. When you turn on the external meter, the dc current drain shuts down the internal digital meter and drives the external one quite nicely.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.