• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger AR-3500 - Whatizzit?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
From an estate sale, I picked up two(2) Ranger AR-3500's in their boxes along with some other goodies . One of these Rangers is the 100 watt radio, and the other is the 30 watt radio. I'm going to hook them up tomorrow and throw them on a meter. I don't know if they have been modified for 11 meter or not, and I will find out that tomorrow as well.

Any of you own them and use them on a regular basis? Good features/bad features? Tell me what you think of them - please...

I had the 30W version back in the '80's, and I really liked it. Mine was "opened up" and worked great on both 11m and 10m. One afternoon on the way home from work, I talked with a station in Japan on 10m FM -- simplex!

Honestly, I cannot recall any drawbacks of the rig. I wish I still had mine. Congratulations on a great find.

I hooked up the 100 watt radio and a stock mic. It will go from 26.000.0 to 29.999.9 - literally. Keys up at 38 watts and swings to 80 watts on my Dosy. On a Bird 43, it is probably going to 100 watts.

Reports across ~35 miles of urban sprawl say I'm getting them with 4 S/units - and the modulation is swinging 3 S/units upward with a stock mic. The quality of the mic is - of course - doubtful at best. With a D104/TUP 9 I'll bet it REALLY sounds good - but I'm not going to rewire it for this radio. The same guy that gave me the report said it would sound GREAT with a good mic from what he could hear.

The receive is very strong but would probably do much better with a beam than with my IMAX. I'm gonna hook up the 30 watt version tonight when the weather cools off a bit more. It's pretty hot out here in central coast of CA right now...

Last edited:
great find.i actually perfer one of thoise over a 2510,linkin,2600
and there actually not a ranger thier made by clearchannel corp
cbtricks.com has some good info on these

I took both of these Ranger AR-3500 radios out for a test spin. I must say that I am really impressed by the SSB and FM performance. Simply put, this radio had SSB audio that sounded like it was still on AM. Rock-solid stable. In fact, everyone used me as a reference to lock on to - a smooth move. More radios should be like this on SSB! A couple of guys with Cobra 148/2000 said it sounded absolutely outstanding. While the guys with the Galaxies were drifting and crying about it - you could easily hear that. You should hear a Ranger AR-3500 for yourself, if you can. These regulars that helped me out with radio checks - are a roundtable discussion/local radio group that I've known for awhile - were all very impressed with it. Even the 35 watt radio got the same reports.

Keep in mind that this radio was built and engineered for 10 meter use. A true Ham radio with Ham radio sound and performance. But it can also do 12 meter and 11 meter with practically the same performance. Remember also, that this radio is almost thirty years old!

The recieve performance on both the 100w/35w radios are xlnt; but I did have to adjust the LED meters so that they were spot-on for S-units and RF/modulation. Modulating on AM, it isn't loud like my OmegaForce with the 'Top Gun Modulator' on. But it is insanely clean and precise. The audio reports were telling me that it was one of the cleanest radios they ever heard. One report was from a radio tech - too. He works on helicopter radios at the San Jose int'l airport.

You won't find a channel indicator on the radio's face plate. Only a frequency counter. It must be programmed to get the desired frequencies of operation. It is a bit tricky to program, but once you've done it a couple of times it isn't that hard at all. Considering that you can program it for different kinds of bandwidths and bands, it makes it unique. Once the power/battery is is disconnected from the radio, it resets itself. Then, you have to go thru the same process to reprogram it - which takes about a minute or so. Considering when this radio was made, it is a stellar performer!

Then I hooked up a D104 handheld mic to it. It has a 4-pin plug; but I had to reverse pin 1 for pin 2 and then pin 3 for pin 4 from the stock Cobra wiring on an Astatic. Now the audio reports said it was outstanding and clean w/o being bodacious or an audio monster. Guess the circuitry is geared for a Ham's taste for non-splatter. With a stock mic it sounds kind of anemic, but clear. Overall, I would give this radio a 10 for performance, a 9 for looks, and a 10 for features. The 100 watt radio is actually rated at 115 watts AM and 150 watts SSB. The swing it produces on a receiving radio is very good to xlnt.

I thought that it was strange that the heat sink/final output on the 100 watt radio looked a lot like the Powerband RFX 75. One would think that the RFX people got the idea from this radio and made it work for everyone else. I really wouldn't be surprised if that was so. This radio has set the standard for a lot of radios that are on the market today. When I opened up the radio, it reminded me of a dual-final version of my TR-696FD-1.

The Ranger AR-3500 radio was and is -IMO- clearly ahead of its time...

Last edited:
Excellent radios Indeed

back in the 80's i had the 100 watt version
used to talk from mobile in parking lot at lunch time
to brazil on a daily basis

I May well be interested in the 100 watt version

Let me Know !!!

OK - OK - OK...
By popular demand...
The 100 watt radio will sell for $300, and the 35 watt radio for $250.
Includes shipping; Cashier check or money order.
Send PM...

I just bought a Galaxy DX99V, so I guess I have to sell these to make up the difference. They both will have operating instuctions, box, short power cord, 1 mic between the two, no mount brackets or mount knobs (same size/shape as 148GTL - etc).

OK - OK - OK...
By popular demand...
The 100 watt radio will sell for $300, and the 35 watt radio for $250.
Includes shipping; Cashier check or money order.
Send PM...

I just bought a Galaxy DX99V, so I guess I have to sell these to make up the difference. They both will have operating instuctions, box, short power cord, 1 mic between the two, no mount brackets or mount knobs (same size/shape as 148GTL - etc).
tell ya thruth id keep the ar radios and sell the 99.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.