• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger AR3300

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Hey,i was wanting to know is the ranger ar3300 a good radio?
How old are they?Any known problems.Any good on SSB? and are they easily modded for extra freq's?. This is a 25 watt version.
TIA,Stu

AR 3300 are really old radios. One of the first 10 meter export radios to come into the country. Clear Channel imported them which is Magnum RF Limited today. They do have some problems. Most of todays is just parts failing cause of age. Some parts are hard to find for them. They are a decent performing ssb radio.

Both the AR3300 and the AR3500 are very respected radios still to this day. They sell easily from $200 and up on eBay and considering their vintage, they still outperform many of todays modern stuff being thrown at us from the orient. Their quality of audio is prolly their strongest attribute. It's not uncommon to receive reports telling you that you sound like you're using a high-end ham radio. And rightly so since they were built in the shadow's of them, to compete against them. If you have the opprotunity to get a AR3300 for a reasonable price, don't hesitate. If you want listeners to think you are talking on a loud, quality base, buy a Ranger AR3300/3500. For that matter, in the right hands, they often outperform many bases!

They both are good radios.. I have the AR-3500 100w with sp1-a speech processor with a stock mic and they say that it is as loud as my 2995dx with the sp1 and power mic. Has been good since the day I bought it.

I know this is an OLD posting but I just came across a Brand New Old Stock SP-1 for the AR-3300/AR-3500 radios.I think they are not a common item these days.I don't own either radio so I will not have a need for this unit.It is still i the plastic bag with instructions & a schematic showing where it mounts inside the radio & inclosed in the original box.

SIX-SHOOTER

I know this is an OLD posting but I just came across a Brand New Old Stock SP-1 for the AR-3300/AR-3500 radios.I think they are not a common item these days.I don't own either radio so I will not have a need for this unit.It is still i the plastic bag with instructions & a schematic showing where it mounts inside the radio & inclosed in the original box.

SIX-SHOOTER

Someone on this forum linked to where you can still get a later version of these:

http://www.topguntec.com/tgt_sp_1a.htm

But a NOS SP-1 from back in the day should be a collector item. Or a museum piece.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
The "Ranger" AR radios did not come from RCI.

They came from an importing company called "Clear Channel Communications", now many years out of business. The inside of this radio has nothing to do with the factories where RCI products are built. It was built in Japan. RCI started in Taiwan. Never had a facility in Japan.

SIX-SHOOTER
i have one i bought years ago still in the box. i think bob still sells them

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.