• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger communications

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Does the RCI2950 fascinate the freeband/CBer community more than the ham community or vise versa ?

★ Sent from my Droid★

I think a lot of new Hams have been scared away from inexpensive 10 meter rigs because of misguided information splattered across the internet.

Just like the post from one of our members the other day, Airplane, the confusion about if they are legal radio`s for a ham to use is astounding.
10 meters is a really fun band during the upside of a solar cycle, and a $250 dollar investment and a cheap shorted CB antenna will get you right in the middle of the playing field.
Most of the new guys do not remember, but it used to be common to hear converted CB radios on ten meters......a 10 dollar yard sale CB, a cheap CB antenna and some time and parts from your junk box was all it took.

Today lots of hams think the hobby is about $4000.00++ multimode rigs with all the bling-bling built -in from the factory.
I did not used to be that way.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
I just see it as a waste of $300 for a ham to buy a 10/12 meter radio, when for a couple hundred more you can buy a good used all mode ham rig that covers all the bands. Or for less than $600 a new Alinco all band/mode hf rig. Of course the 10 meter radios are going to be better sellers to CB'ers and freebanders wo have no use for any feature except converting to 11 meters and "freebanding". Well...then there's roger beeps and pretty multi colored lights that seem to be big with that crowd. And some of the 10 meter radios are selling for more than a new ham rig. If the prices were under $200 for a good 10 meter export radio I would get a new one. I already have an HR2510 but I picked that up for $75 at a ham fest.

I often use my RCI 2950 Chassis radios on 10 meters due to the amount of floor noise that they filter out over my expensive ham rigs that take pushing this setting that turning this BLAH BLAH BLAH. I just turn on the DX2527 or 2950's and theres nothing else to mess withThey are outstanding 10 meter radios and my 2950DX also does 12 meters quite well.

I use my Optima on 10 metres all the time with great success. I'm having more fun with it mobile than I did when I had a full shack with amp.

I agree with you ratsoW8, $300 is a lot for 10&12metres when you could stack two more Franklin's and one could have a beautiful ts440,ic706,etc

Whoever said rci2950s are illegal is a mud duck !

★ Sent from my Droid★

Its nice to have the best of both worlds.
A couple of hams who use to be CB'ers told me , sometimes it gets boring on ham frequencies and revert to CB. To me it sucks when people become bigots between the two, meanwhile its all about being on the radio.Making that contact at a FAR AND DISTANT LAND or making local contacts with friends.

IMO If you're looking to work 10/11 it's hard to beat the various RCI rigs compared to spending a few more bucks and getting a multi band HF rig. I've tried them all, Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu you name it, and have yet to see one of them have a noise filter that's worth squat when it comes to running the rig AM on 11. They work great on 11 if you're doing SSB and have the motor turned off but forget it if you want to do AM while going down the road compared to one of the export 10/11 rigs.

these radios are definately appreciated more by 11m users, but smart hams know certain 11m radios make damn fine 10m radios, or even good for doing both,

its the for the most part ignorant minority snob culture within ham radio that deter many other hams from using cheap and cheerful export gear on the ham bands be it legal or otherwise, feeding them the perpetual myth if it ain't made by kenwood,icom or yaesu it ain't worth using, if only those type of hams actually knew how to operate their multi thousand pound all singing all dancing transceivers properly, something they might have learned the basics of if they'd cut their teeth on the transceivers they are so keen to slag off. its no coincidence these are the same guys who have ft1000's plugged into antron 99's:whistle::whistle:

rci and other pseudo cb's are ok on 10 if the golden screwdriver is kept away.
the snip this turn that to the stop mentality is what makes them trashy.
but they are only a good deal if found untouched and dirt cheap.like $50 or so.
forget buying them at new.that can buy a used hf rig that is far more capable.
had a friend who wanted a start in hf as a tech.we went to ft wayne hamfest to look.
lots of exports there new in the $250.00 range.2 rows over we got him a ts-140 for $150.00.
a $10 k40 i trimmed right in the parking lot later and he was making contacts.

Very true on keeping the golden screwdrivers from the RCI's. Let one of the clip this, max this, guys get a hold of it and it can turn into a splatter box big time. There's a operator near me running one that's been "peaked". It worked, I can hear him 40 channels away.

I had a 2950 I tuned it my self with a diamond screw driver hi hi
45ish on ssb voice and about 35 AM. Nice radio sold it for a nice desk meter.

★ Sent from my Droid★

Right now I have a 2995DX and a 2950DX in the shack. I was using the 2950 the other night, then switched to the 2995! The guys I happened to be talking too told me to switch back! Seems the little mobile sounds better then the big bad exspensive base!
I love The Ranger line. For the money you can't beat 'em!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.