• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI 2995 DX White Noise on SSB

HavaV10

May 24, 2023
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Hello, Anyone here have a suggestion how to lower the white noise on ssb on a 2995 DX? I have a 2008 model, great radio and talks great to. But the white noise on SSB both upper and lower is terrible. Very hissy sounding and I'm looking for the hollow ssb sound like my Cobra 2000 has. Turning down the RF gain doesn't do anything to fix this issue. Is there just a simple trimmer adjustment or does the crystal filter need to be changed out to something different. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Last edited:

Start here:

@loosecannon

Jeff
thanks Jeff any threads on how to fix this issue on the RCI 2995 DX

top right timmer pot looks to be topped out. Doesn't look right to me. But if I screw it down, I start to loose receive.

Attachments

• 441217648_10233517411616831_8970699657103503175_n.jpg
    441217648_10233517411616831_8970699657103503175_n.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 8
top right timmer pot looks to be topped out. Doesn't look right to me. But if I screw it down, I start to loose receive.
Something's not right there. Those cans usually peak around 60 to 80% of the way up. If the slug comes flush with the top of the can it usually indicates one of the tiny caps inside the can has failed, or possibly a bad solder joint to the can or a related component has failed. The one in the pic the slug is actually higher than the can ! The can to the left looks like the slug has the opposite problem and it is much lower down than would be normal.
Is it a new radio or did you buy it used (and probably pre-screwdrivered)? Is there any indication of other components near those cans having been changed or removed ?

Something's not right there. Those cans usually peak around 60 to 80% of the way up. If the slug comes flush with the top of the can it usually indicates one of the tiny caps inside the can has failed, or possibly a bad solder joint to the can or a related component has failed. The one in the pic the slug is actually higher than the can ! The can to the left looks like the slug has the opposite problem and it is much lower down than would be normal.
Is it a new radio or did you buy it used (and probably pre-screwdrivered)? Is there any indication of other components near those cans having been changed or removed ?
BC I bought it used 2 weeks ago from Doc's CB shop in Florida. It's a 2008 model. It's in very clean condition. The receiver is super noisy on SSB with high pitch white noise. Switching from AM to SSB the sound doesn't change much. Doesn't look like any components have been changed out ever. But I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 20240425_181757.jpg
    20240425_181757.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Maybe someone did their "super good" receive mod on it. AKA cranked shit up and now the white noise is even louder. The alignment procedures should be here in the service manual section. Tough to find someone that can do this these days.

Reactions: HavaV10
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 8
Ray Anderson was tech support at Galaxy years ago. His advice was to never set the antenna coil for max S-meter, but for max signal. Tuning it for max S-meter would maximize noise, not signal.

But he simplified this to first finding the S-meter peak and then turning the slug a turn and a half clockwise from there.

I prefer the "max signal" method, but that's what he was getting at with his advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.