• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950 DX (Black display)

nobody

Apr 4, 2011
Been wanting to get a RCI 2950 DX for some time. I ordered one from H&Y and it came fairly quick and the "E-chip" was in the box. JFYI Copper had a cheaper price but with shipping, H&Y was a few cents less. :) I temporarily hooked it up last night to try it out. When i was screwing in the coax cable I noticed the SO 239 was loose on the chassis. Figured I would tighten it up later. It appeared to work fine with the exception of the VFO. It appeared to intermittently not change the frequency or delay in changing it. The other buttons etc worked very well.

Today I opened it up to look at the SO 239. From the inside it looked as if the tiny little wire connecting the board to the SO 239 was broke loose but still touching the SO 239. A little disappointed in this and all though I could send it to RCI to fix, I'm going to see if my local radio repairman can fix it and upgrade that tiny little wire. :sad: I hate having to send stuff off and ordering stuff online if I can help it. If the VFO is an issue I'll most likely send it back to RCI.

Any ways this is my first "export" radio and was interested in this one because of it's capabilities. Mainly because it's continues tuning, will do all modes and it's not channelized like other exports. Can't wait to have it all hooked up and working!

I would sent it to Ranger for a warranty repair. The quality control of Ranger seems to be lacking.
I'm in the process of sending the same radio into Ranger for a warranty repair that I bought from Bells Cb.
See my posts under export radios.

I would sent it to Ranger for a warranty repair. The quality control of Ranger seems to be lacking.
I'm in the process of sending the same radio into Ranger for a warranty repair that I bought from Bells Cb.
See my posts under export radios.

Is it Ranger's lack of quality control or their vendors sending out hacked radios ???

Reactions: 2 people
Is it Ranger's lack of quality control or their vendors sending out hacked radios ???

I would say both are at fault. I need to post a pic of the inside of mine so all can see the lack of quality control. Someone signed off on it like that as the sticker on the pcb shows qc inspected.

Why would you send it for repair? You purchased it new or at least were lead to believe it was new so you should be demanding replacement or refund.. nothing less. Now maybe you voided the warranty by opening the case but I would try and get a new one(maybe not possible if they only sell referbs) or my money back.

Reactions: 1 person
Dang, that is a real bummer. I would be upset. But I would say if you want it done correctly send it to the doc of New York, he specializes in those radios and is a very good tech. He may be on the list of warranty dealers for RCI as well. But like said, get an RMI number and ask that you have say in where the radio goes for repair as it is NEW!! As for who is at fault we all know that this has been happening for so long it's ridiculous. Just don't hear too much about the 2950 having this many issues. It does seem as though a lot of companies are losing site of quality in their quest to conquer the market!! If only they could make a quality radio that just works, we all wouldn't have anything to speak of now though would we lol. I hope that all turns out well and that you get that radio working like it should be, I have spoke with many that run that radio and they sound great and are a solid ssb radio if setup properly. No tweaking needed, just have an alignment done and make sure that radio is transmitting correctly.

I ordered the radio with no extra tech work or tune ups to it. The radio appears new from the factory.

Sure I could send it back but like I said I hate dealing through the mail. This is one of the reasons why. :) But if it's going to be too much then I will send it back.

The guy I'm going to have look at it isn't a golden screw driver tech and repairs TVs and radios for a living. He also into the hobby (Extra Class) and has proper test equipment. I had him work on some other stuff for me.

Took it to the tech, he fixed it in no time and only charged me $15. he even swapped out the tiny little wire out for a larger one.

The radio works but one passerby i talked to on it (AM) said I sounded muffled.

I still think it's a neat radio and I knew it wasn't an audio monster on AM before I ordered it. :)

Took it to the tech, he fixed it in no time and only charged me $15. he even swapped out the tiny little wire out for a larger one.

The radio works but one passerby i talked to on it (AM) said I sounded muffled.

I still think it's a neat radio and I knew it wasn't an audio monster on AM before I ordered it. :)

Didn't you have him check it out while he had it on the bench?:oops:

Didn't you have him check it out while he had it on the bench?:oops:

No. I just got off working 12 hours nights, sat around about an hour and a half for him to get to the shop. He began opening it up and fixed it then and their. Since I was tired from working all night and anxious to play with it I thanked him and left.

No. I just got off working 12 hours nights, sat around about an hour and a half for him to get to the shop. He began opening it up and fixed it then and their. Since I was tired from working all night and anxious to play with it I thanked him and left.

Been there done that.

7 to 7 shift, have to wait couple hours for the rest of the world to open their doors for business sucks.

Glad you got the radio fixed and are making contacts.

QC

I had seven DX3 models through my hands lately, every one had to be fully realigned, and the SO-239 was loose on all rigs. Today Quantity takes priority over Quality, this is true of most manufacturers not only Ranger, and this is why most major outlets offer a peak and tune service, attention to QC is dead.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.