• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950 Or Pres. Lincoln?

ford074

Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
I love my older President HR-2510, it works top notch for me. But, I also like the idea of having a radio that is mostly made in the good old USA (Ranger).

If I was to need to buy a replacement I would really consider the RCI brand. Cheaper price and very flexible.

clublincoln.gif
</p>

I was planning on a Lincoln but have heard alot of the things about the am side not being very good. With that said I have Galaxy 959 that I use for 11 meter. Which one of these above mentioned radios are better in the other bands? I have heard the the Lincoln has an awesome reciever in it. I would like to hear opinions about the RCI 2950.

Thanks

Merlin

Mobil:

Galaxy DX959/Astatic 636L

Galaxy 2HD

Wilson 1000 Trunk Lip w/SLA

Uniden BCT7

Base:

Texas Ranger TR 696F/RF Limited EC2018T

Solarcon IMAX 2000/40ft Tower

Uniden BCT7

Future...
Pres. Lincoln,
X-Force X80 Base,
and a BC780XLT
</p>

merlin

hi guy, just saw your comment on the am of the lincoln. you heard right, my first ham radio was a lincoln and the am was not all that good. i have among others that have outstanding rx and tx, the 2950 and the galaxy 959dx. i have been looking for a half decent lincoln just because it was my first radio and for no other reason. if you run across someone in your travels that has one they would like to do some trading on i would be most grateful if you would let me know. you can reach me by e-mail KI4CAT@AOL.COM. 73 AND ENJOY JOHN;)

having ownefd both i like the lincoln ALOT better than the 2950.the recieve shines above
the 2950,now am isnt the greatest but it does do the job.imho the lincoln was made/designed for the ssb operator.my choice lincoln ..definately

The Lincoln in my opinion will work much better on receive, as there are several design issues with the 2950 in the receiver, like too much gain in the front end, problems with the mixer circuits, and also the IF filters have a bit to be desired.

For SSB use the Lincoln will win hands down. A lot of people don't like the AM performance through on the Lincoln but there are several changes that can be done to correct this.

Also, the above poster was correct. Ranger is NOT made in the USA, all Ranger / Galaxy, etc products are made by RCI-Ranger Communications in China.

Another vote for the Lincoln. The RCIs are decent radios for the money I guess, but the Lincoln's RX is much better.

I use my Lincoln in the mobile with an Astatic 575 mic and guys tell me all the time that it sounds like a high end HF set.

I hope that guy who started the thread isnt still waiting to buy a radio....

you guys dug up a 7 year old post. (y)

I have both the Lincoln & 2510. Both have been worked on by Rogerbird. Rogerbird is considered the best on the Lincoln, 2510, & 2600 line. He did some work on the AM side, as well as the SSB side, and did an AM Mic Gain Mod. With a high quality power mic, these radios will out perform most radio's. Reports on AM are fantastic. Other 2510/Lincoln's with this work done, sound great. Doc is another person that is considered an expert on this line of radio's.
JMO...Take it FWIW

Rogerbird's Radio Modification Information Page

DOCSELECTRONICS.COM

The Lincoln in my opinion will work much better on receive, as there are several design issues with the 2950 in the receiver, like too much gain in the front end, problems with the mixer circuits, and also the IF filters have a bit to be desired.

For SSB use the Lincoln will win hands down. A lot of people don't like the AM performance through on the Lincoln but there are several changes that can be done to correct this.

Also, the above poster was correct. Ranger is NOT made in the USA, all Ranger / Galaxy, etc products are made by RCI-Ranger Communications in China.

well well look who's back....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.