• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rci 2950dx e-chip

Its supposed to but.....Watch who and where you purchase the radio from and ask if the E-chip is provided. Some places from what Ive been reading are keeping the chips and then charging extra for them!!! SO BEWARE!!

does the e-chip come in the box for the latest 2950dx radio's?

If you purchase the radio from a trusted radio shop that does proper/quality tech work the radio will come converted, aligned, and tuned properly. It will be plug and play, probably last for years like that.

Now if you decided to "save 30 bucks" and buy the radio from Copper or H&Y, they will remove the e-chip if you just want the radio. And if you let their "tech" screw with the radio for 30 bucks you will have a mis-tuned POS.

This is why you buy coax, connectors, meters, and mics from Copper but you don't buy a radio there. By the time you pay a good tech to properly tune your radio your no longer money ahead.

Here is a quick short list or places that seem to get good reviews, quality honest tech work.

- DTB Radio
- Bob's cb
- 8541 Electronics
- Custom cb Radio's

Reactions: 1 person
As an example I just priced one at Crapper. They suck you in on a nice 248 dollar price. Now IF they sold you just the radio as shipped by RCI I would buy it and then pay a local tech I trust 45 dollars to convert,tune, and align it. Problem is unless you pay them an extra 30 dollars for their tune they keep the e-chip. And I would not let their "tech" touch my toaster much less a fine radio like a 2950.

I checked DTB's web site, the 2950DX is 305 dollars total ready to talk. Considering how good a tech he is to me that's worth the extra few bucks.

The Copper E-chip scenario has not been myth busted yet. I have seen recent reports from buyers that have reported it being included.

I even started a thread on that very topic many months back. There was plenty of discussion, but no real consensus if it's true or not.

As an example I just priced one at Crapper. They suck you in on a nice 248 dollar price. Now IF they sold you just the radio as shipped by RCI I would buy it and then pay a local tech I trust 45 dollars to convert,tune, and align it. Problem is unless you pay them an extra 30 dollars for their tune they keep the e-chip. And I would not let their "tech" touch my toaster much less a fine radio like a 2950.

I checked DTB's web site, the 2950DX is 305 dollars total ready to talk. Considering how good a tech he is to me that's worth the extra few bucks.

this is all I wanted, I did make an anonymous call to copper and verified that the chip is in the box with the radio un-touched, guess ill see in a few days

Reactions: 2 people
If not, I would do a charge back.

Anyways, I recently bought a new stock 2950DX last week. I don't have everything to do a proper alignment, but just using my DVOM, ghetto generator and frequency counter, I was pleased with the out of box performance.

If not, I would do a charge back.

Anyways, I recently bought a new stock 2950DX last week. I don't have everything to do a proper alignment, but just using my DVOM, ghetto generator and frequency counter, I was pleased with the out of box performance.

have you used it much yet, do you like it? i was looking for the clarifier mod online and came across a post from cbradiomagazine that says it really isnt needed because you can use the shift key to change the last digit to whatever transmitt/receive freq that is needed?. i still think i like the unlocked clarifier, but i will try it as it comes out of the box first.

i sold them when i had my shop...i like them better than the 2510 2600 and clones in the mbls you can see better...the 2510 is better in the house,not as much surface noise...still have a 2950dx use everyday on 10 and 12mtrs,73 de n0zna JW

I do all my own radio setup but had gotten a 2950DX a few years ago from DXHound here on the forum and the radio was and still is pristine. He did the Schottkey diode recieve mod and the tune on the radio no cut clarifier which is a plus for me because its pointless with the shift option for the VFO. The radio worked great the day I got it its been a few years now and 2 weeks ago I just re-checked allignment and all is great. Ive used the radio on 10 11 and 12 meters with super reports.

11 meter band I never even have to mess with the frequency shift its spot on. I have several 2950 and the Mirage and Sommerkamp are all great radios. I like my 2510 but am just hooked on the 2950 radios and have been since the mid 1990s

i dont use the claf...all is use is the vfo...and dont use it on my hf rigs...rit is a joke for ssb...so use the vfo on ssb 73 and late note,have delt with copper.com since 1977 and no problem...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.