• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I was kinda perusing fleabay and noticed that there are so many fewer 2950DX model offered for sale, or sold, as opposed to the older 2950 models. Any thoughts on this. I have both and like them both equally actually. The DX models have a little more white noise, but are a nice radio. I have one in my truck, RAM 3500. It seems pretty quiet as far as power line noise compared to the Cobra 200 I used to have in it, and the display is nice and readable.
The DX models don't seem to have to issues with the encoder, and there are a lot of SMD parts.
Just curious, interested in anyone else's thoughts.

I have run all three flavors and have all three I rotate in and out of the lineup.

The old orange face is fine but covers only to 26.000. For most this isn't a big deal but having coverage to 24.000 (for 12 meters) is nice in my opinion. The DX and "CD" offer this.

I currently run a CD in the truck but I do prefer the look of the DX display. Also the encoders on the DX and CD seem to be less notchy and smoother to spin than the original 29xx flavor. The knobs themselves seem to have a more rubbery feel on the dx & CD as well which I prefer.

The DX supposedly had a cleaner receiver and possibly some better filtering when the smd board was released. I would say it might have a slight edge on the old orange face models but not by much. All 29xx flavors could use a cleaner receiver with better filtering in my opinion...

All in all they are a solid tried and true radio for the guy that wants a little bit of everything. Decent AM/FM performance. Good ssb audio with relatively good stability in a variety of operating temperatures. An acceptable receiver as well. Coverage into 10/12 meters with split capability..

Over the last 25 years I have run a variety of exports and 10 meter mobiles but have usually always gravitated back to a 2950 of some sort. With a small amp and good antenna they just work well.

I was kinda perusing fleabay and noticed that there are so many fewer 2950DX model offered for sale, or sold, as opposed to the older 2950 models. Any thoughts on this. I have both and like them both equally actually. The DX models have a little more white noise, but are a nice radio. I have one in my truck, RAM 3500. It seems pretty quiet as far as power line noise compared to the Cobra 200 I used to have in it, and the display is nice and readable.
The DX models don't seem to have to issues with the encoder, and there are a lot of SMD parts.
Just curious, interested in anyone else's thoughts.
Maybe everyone is hanging on to them. I hear the 2950cd is no more because the 2950dx6 has replaced it. How true that is yet to be seen but if it is then there will be no more dual final 2950's being made.
I've got the 2950dx6 and 2970n2 and they are so far really good talking radios, especially the dx6.

Reactions: Smokinone
I also have an old orange face 2970 that gets out when the others don't, and a 2970N2 sitting in the box that I haven't had hooked up since I bought it.
I like the pretty much straight forward use, the lighted buttons, uncluttered display, quick one button move to CB, and back again to 10 meter. Also I think they are very stable, but I use as a base with the exception of my truck.
Paired with a Turner base mic I get good clean audio reports all around.

I think I can agree with Blackcat630 that the more expanded coverage and display on the DX may be more of why they seem to be keepers. Also the the rubberized knobs. Great points I hadn't thought of. Perhaps the use SMD's as far as reliability?
I've recapped one of my 2950 orange face, and have another to do.

I changed my current in use 2950 to all green display and buttons. Did it some years ago, don't know if I have the steadiness or patience these days. The green appeals more to me as far as readability over the orange.

greendisplay.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.