• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970 DX SSB?

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Are these radios stable on side band? Also what kind of numbers can i expect on this radio on AM and SSB? Thanks for any help you can provide.

mine worked quite well...modded ine was doing 165 on SSB
just beware...it is also a splash box...

so if using as a base....what antenna are you using
(several antennas will likly rid the RFI issue)

if using in car then likly no need to worry
(unless using in driveway..lol )

It really depends who tunes your radio as far as what it will do for output.
I have one here right now that I am seeing 200 am modulating and 185 ssb modulating.

But....If you want the radio to perform really good, then you must have a good aligment preformed. Then when this is done, you will then probably see a little less output, but this will be good, for the radio will sure work better for you.

Send it to DTB radio here on the forum if you wish to have a tune up....the radio will then come back doing around 185 AM & 145-155 on SSB or there abouts. But everyone that will listen to it will like much better.

As far as being stable you ask.....if they weren't stable, I wouldn't own them!

Thanks for the info every one. As far as ANT. goes, for a base I use a Maco v5/8 at 80ft. at the feed point with rgu-213 coax. I have a good HF rig for a base so I will use the 2970DX in the truck. When I get the radio I will take your advice and send it to DTB.Thanks again for all the help.

tell them were you choose to tune to change the voltage regulator 2SB754 with a 2SB817 which will serve the transistors better and not heat up as much as the 2SB754.
The 2970DX get hot enough as it is with its cooling ribs on the bottom of the radio.

Why didnt they turn it upside down and have the ribs on the top, it would cool down much faster as hot air elevates?

Thats the only reason i baught a 2995dx and a 2950dx instead, more expensive total but with a little pill box in the back of a well tuned 2950dx you have a better solution.

I think the techs took a beer to much when they decided where to put the heatsinks :D

The new style heat sink on the 2970, Galaxy 95T, and Connex 4600 is a much improved design form the old giant monster of a heat sink on the Orange display 2970's. There is also a fan in there so I don't see the problem. Where most 2970DX radio's have problems is when some hack trys to squeeze every last ounce of power and modulation form the radio. I would rather have a DTB tuned 2970 doing say 160 watts of clean correct power then then a aplattering overmodulated 215 watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.