• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970 n2

colt45

Mar 18, 2011
Hey all, I plan on getting this radio and was wondering ,,,,Does this thing after upgrade to cb freq, do the sideband channels? as you can see I'm kinda new to this 10 meter stuff,just a cb'er wanting a good strong radio. I assume to do sidebands it's just adjusting the frequency right???? and I think to go from 11 meter cb to ham channels to listen one antenna will work, till I transmitt then I have to use a antenna tuner to tune to 10 meter???? Is this correct?

1) Does this thing - after upgrade to CB freq - do the sideband channels?

2) I assume to do sidebands it's just adjusting the frequency right????

3) I think to go from 11 meter cb to ham channels to listen on one antenna will work?

4) To transmit, then I have to use a antenna tuner to tune to 10 meter?

ANS:
1) Yes. The upgrade just unlocks all the available freq's the radio has.
SSB, CW, AM, and FM are transmission/'transmit' modes.

2) SSB ('single side band' or 'side band') is a mode that can be selected by using and changing the mode selector switch.

3) Antennas need to be resonant before you transmit. Also, the SWR/impedance load must be adjusted to keep the radio's final transistors from frying - due to a mismatch of this impedance.
So long as you are just listening w/o transmitting on an antenna - that isn't matched/SWR to that frequency - that is OK.

4) Yes.

First you need to understand the difference between side band and extra channels. A sideband radio (SSB) like a Cobra 148 does not have 120 channels. It's the same 40 cb channels. Sideband is just a different mode of talking, like AM,FM,LSB, and USB.

That said a radio like the 2970 N2 will go from 24-32 meg. the number of actual channels will be in the hundreds. You can talk on each channel in any of the modes, AM,FM, USB, and LSB.

Hope this helps.

did they ever fix the narrow receive on the new N2s? most rci dx and non dx iv owned have NARROW lossy receive, compared to magnum cobra galaxy ;)

LOL, Thats because RCI radio's don't drift like a sailboat like a Galaxy radio's do. Your getting confused between "narrow" receive and a stable on frequency radio.

LOL, Thats because RCI radio's don't drift like a sailboat like a Galaxy radio's do. Your getting confused between "narrow" receive and a stable on frequency radio.

iv had 4 different model 10m RCI radios. every one has NARROW rx. to each his own four ten the new n2 is a little better in rx. and i wouldn't hesitate buying another one if the price was right

iv had 4 different model 10m RCI radios. every one has NARROW rx.
Morse123 - I've owed 14 of the 2950dx/2970dx and (1) N2 model and still have (8) on hand.
The receive has been just about the same on everyone of them. But, my N2 does have a quieter receive than the other models.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.