• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2985DX voltage schematics

islander

Jun 29, 2016
Good Evening,

I am trying to resurrect an rci2985dx with pll unlock. Any help which can point me in the direction of a source for a complete schematic with voltages would be appreciated. I got no response from rangerusa.com. The radio transmits and receives on misecllaneous frequencies. The schematic I found is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Islander

Attachments

• rci_2995_dx_sch.pdf
    479.2 KB · Views: 35

Thanks Sonoma,

Seems to be the same manual from ranger. It allows troubleshooting to find the faulty stage but not the faulty component. The control voltages are not annotated. I think I need the full service manual with voltages. I have the full 8 volts at the collector of some of the transistors so I suspect they are not conducting. I will keep my fingers crossed that someone has the voltage schematic or a suggestion re a similar radio.

Islander

look at a 2970 radio and see if it has the info. it has the same processor as the 2985 radio. worth a try to look at it.

look at a 2970 radio and see if it has the info. it has the same processor as the 2985 radio. worth a try to look at it.

Thanks again Sonoma.

This thing has an MC145162, 16 pin, surface mount, IC2 PLL. Seems the rci 2995 uses the same pll. Can't find it being used in the 2970 schematic. I have seen some references to it being used in the 2950. Maybe the cbtricks schematics are of an older version 2950/2970?

Islander

i was thinking it was like one of the old rci 2950 or 2970.I have not seen one of these radios but a few guy's have had a hard time finding info on the 2985 and 2980 radios. RCI dropped the ball on some of their radios as far as service manuals on them. their site has not been updated in years . no new ones on their site.

i was thinking it was like one of the old rci 2950 or 2970.I have not seen one of these radios but a few guy's have had a hard time finding info on the 2985 and 2980 radios. RCI dropped the ball on some of their radios as far as service manuals on them. their site has not been updated in years . no new ones on their site.

Looks like I will have to do it the hard way. I'll post any info I think would be useful. Your help is much appreciated.

the 1st thing I would do is start at the PLL alignment section and see if you can adjust the voltages they have laid out. plus the freq to adjust the radio. this will tell you if the unit is staying locked as it should . the 1st item is the PLL voltage.

Good Evening,

I am trying to resurrect an rci2985dx with pll unlock. Any help which can point me in the direction of a source for a complete schematic with voltages would be appreciated. I got no response from rangerusa.com. The radio transmits and receives on misecllaneous frequencies. The schematic I found is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Islander
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2985dx/index.htm

Sounds like you have a rotary encoder problem or a processor problem. These are NOT easy radios to fix to me. Furthermore, the early version of the 2950/70 radios has processor problems. The DX versions of these radios had done away with those issues.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2950/graphics/rci2950_cpu_faults_notes.pdf

They do not make replacement processors or upgrades if that is the problem.

you did not say as to how the radio is acting to make you think it is not locked. does the freq read out on the front work as it should. if not look on the back of the read out and there is 2 resisters close together that can go bad and burn. they will discolor and loose the voltage to the read out and cause you all kinds of problems.

you did not say as to how the radio is acting to make you think it is not locked. does the freq read out on the front work as it should. if not look on the back of the read out and there is 2 resisters close together that can go bad and burn. they will discolor and loose the voltage to the read out and cause you all kinds of problems.

Hi Sonoma,

The radios frequency counter will correctly read for example 27.105 and ch 12 but the radio will transmit and receive on random frequencies which roll up or down on an external counter far removed from channel 12 and on 12.

The pll voltages are too low but will adjust somewhat. So I am looking for the transistor/ic voltage chart. I want to see if the active devices in the oscillators are running as they should. The block diagram has q47,48,48,50,51 as the control/regulators . I guess I should check those and then the pll oscillator, active and passive components. The radio is behaving like it wants to live. All the other controls seem to work.

I should have a chance to post some specific frequency and voltage info later to see if you or any of the others can help me track down the issue. May be someone has a 2985 or 2995 up and running and can check some voltages. All help appreciated.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2985dx/index.htm

Sounds like you have a rotary encoder problem or a processor problem. These are NOT easy radios to fix to me. Furthermore, the early version of the 2950/70 radios has processor problems. The DX versions of these radios had done away with those issues.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2950/graphics/rci2950_cpu_faults_notes.pdf

They do not make replacement processors or upgrades if that is the problem.

Hi Robb,

This is the DX version the rci 2985dx. PLL is MC145162 and as Sonoma pointed out to me the voltage schematic for the 2950DX or 2970DX may help. So if I can find a service manual for the 2950dx,2970dx,2985dx or 2995dx, it should help. Maybe there are other radios using the same pll. That would be a help also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.