• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995 DX Mod Question

D

Desert Rat04

:( I recently had my 2995DX modified by a tech , he got her doing around 50dk swing 150 on AM.. Cannot turn it back on the RF variable knob.. He has since left the country and I would like it turned back to normal so I can run a ext. Amp..
I have heard you can turn off the internal amp on this radio, is this true?? If so , can you tell me how to do so..

Thanks !! :?

Yep. A pair of wires, one brown and one black, feeds from the main circuit board into the linear to key the relay.

Looked, and can't find a picture for this, but if you can find the driver transistor at the left (your left) rear corner of the main circuit board, a small tan plug has the brown/black wire pair plugged into the circuit board. It's just to the left of the bias-test (mirror) jumper board, directly in front of the 2SC2166 driver transistor.

One of the two wires is hot, the other is ground. Rather than worry about which is which, you could just pull the plug. This will leave you with a barefoot 1-final radio that runs out of steam below 20 Watts PEP.

You could put a toggle switch in the hot wire of that pair, but they have changed the color once or twice. Sometimes the brown wire is hot, sometimes the black. You can use a DPDT switch to break both wires, and not worry about which one is which.

The power supply will run pretty cool with the amplifier turned off, so you can turn off the fan.

And if it doesn't have a fan, it's miracle the thing hasn't gone KABOOM already from the heat.

The problem with the power knob may be a trimpot set wrong. VR19 sets the lower end of the RF Power control's adjustment range.

Nomadradio, Would that be J22 on the main board ?? Green and Yellow wire, directly in front of the 2SC2166..

Desert Rat04

Hi,

I was wondering something about your 2995dx.
I am having issues with mine since it was new.
When switching from AM to SSB (LSB, USB or CW)
the noise ratio doesn't change much and my needle
is always on 3 -4 S-units and someone could be right
under my antenna and only swing it to 7-8 S-units
on SSB. Does yours react like this???
Any ideas anyone to what this could be?
Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.