• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995DX Variable Power

Cajun Invader

Membership Moderator
Oct 13, 2008
Does anyone know what the power settings should range from on the RF Power range on the RCI 2995DX?

Turned all the way down I was seeing 85 watts swinging to 150ish and turned all the way up I was seeing 100 swinging to 150ish.

I opened the radio and was able to drop the low setting to 50 swinging to 150 turned all the way down and 85 swinging to 150 turned all the way up. Also the modulation was turned wide open. I adjusted it to 100 percent according to the radio modulation meter.

I'm not sure what this radios variable should show. The ratio is fine but most radios Ive had a variable on could be turned down a lot lower than 50 watts.

Reactions: Joseph m Charnigo

I think the max suggested dead key is 50 watts. Something like 8-10 watts on Low and 40-50 on Hi is normal. At this point I would have a good tech go through the whole radio. If the dead key levels are that far off I have some serious doubts as to the rest of the tune.

I think the max suggested dead key is 50 watts. Something like 8-10 watts on Low and 40-50 on Hi is normal. At this point I would have a good tech go through the whole radio. If the dead key levels are that far off I have some serious doubts as to the rest of the tune.
yea i agree.i wpould use a 5-8 watt dk on low
and 30-40 dk on high.if your audio wasnt distorted i would leave the amc vr left wide open
then just fine tune with mic gain ..but thats just me.also ya didnt mention
what your ssb output was on low/highalso what type of meter did ya use to
see these numbers they are very high and way outm of wack.was this used
on a dummy load or antenna.if antenna whats your swr

I can't get the carrier any lower by adjusting VR19. 50 watts is the lowest I see.

I'm seeing these numbers going into the antenna with an SWR of 1.2.

I'm using a Palstar WM150 meter.

On SSB with the RF Power turned wide open I am seeing 150.

The 50 watt carrier is what I'm looking for but not as the bare minimum on the RF Power. When driving the Clipperton I want the higher carrier.

This radio gets hot. I'm not sure how hot it should get. The transformer gets hot but I can hold my hand on the cover without it burning. The heatsink on the back is another story. I can hold my hand on it for about 2 seconds.

I know heat kills so I ordered a fan kit for it that RCI makes. I'm not sure what the deal with the carrier is though. Maybe a bad potentiometer?

Looking at the factory service manual it says the following:

Connect “short PCB” to TP7 and TP9.
Set RF PWR Fully Counter Clockwise.
Connect RF Power Meter to antenna jack.
VR15 10W [50W]
VR19 1W [ 2W]

What's a "short PCB?"

Page 21 on this link. http://cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2985dx/graphics/rci_2985dx_95dx_sm.pdf

DK 2995

I purchased a 2995 from Bobs CB a few months back, also had him do the tune.. on AM it DKs 2-3 watts on low and swings to around 35-40, on high it DKs 45 watts and swings over 200. With the RF power knob set at 9:00 on SSB, it runs around 100 watts, and thats where I keep it most of the time, it runs cool and only gets luke warm if I get long winded.

I figured out that I have to adjust both pots with the variable power all the way up and all the way down.

Damn that's confusing but I'm learning. Now I know what I need to do to set it. I just figured it as I was leaving for work. I really need better OCD meds if I am going to concentrate on this hobby.

Thanks for all the info and help, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon enough.

You might check out cbtricks.com and see what they have on that radio. There are many things that need to be aligned for things to work well. Cranking the amc VR all the way is probably the "supertune" that it already got while they were janking the dead key levels all up.

What's a "short PCB?"

thats the little shorting "board" that shorts out across those pins inside the radio.its in the rear usually near the final section.

I figured out that I have to adjust both pots with the variable power all the way up and all the way down.

Damn that's confusing but I'm learning. Now I know what I need to do to set it. I just figured it as I was leaving for work. I really need better OCD meds if I am going to concentrate on this hobby.

Thanks for all the info and help, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon enough.

yea tune high power first with varible wide open adjust for 40-50 watts MAX
then turn down variable all the way down and adjust the low dk i like 5 watts
always should do high first.as it can/will change your low dk .ya probaly
went thru all this already if so let us know how ya did.

Yeah, that is way off.. I had one, and was able to make it dead key 1-2 watts, and swing 150+! Their is a pot that is easy to find, that if I remember say AM power right on it. You need to adjust it way down. It will sound louder, if you can make it swing more as well, and you won't have to worry about burning up amplifiers as easily.

Does anyone know what the power settings should range from on the RF Power range on the RCI 2995DX?

Turned all the way down I was seeing 85 watts swinging to 150ish and turned all the way up I was seeing 100 swinging to 150ish.

I opened the radio and was able to drop the low setting to 50 swinging to 150 turned all the way down and 85 swinging to 150 turned all the way up. Also the modulation was turned wide open. I adjusted it to 100 percent according to the radio modulation meter.

I'm not sure what this radios variable should show. The ratio is fine but most radios Ive had a variable on could be turned down a lot lower than 50 watts.

Leave it at 50. That's where they seem to sound the best. If you have your heart set on swing dont go any lower than 30 or it will sound like shit! Unless you turn you mike gain back but then whats the point?

I have one and 5 of the locals have them and well all run it at 50 watt key peaking at 150. have for years with no problems.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.