• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-69FFB4 ... Anyone buy one yet?

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
I have done some reading on this radio and am interested if anyone has bought one yet. I realize a radio with an external amp is best but there are times when that set up isn't feasible.

Last edited:

From a quick google search, the b4 seems to be the same as the c4.
I could be wrong. There is one opperator I know with a c4 and it sounds real good on the air however I am not sure how stable it is for drift on ssb

From a quick google search, the b4 seems to be the same as the c4.
I could be wrong. There is one opperator I know with a c4 and it sounds real good on the air however I am not sure how stable it is for drift on ssb

I think you are spot on. The C4 is the chrome version while the B4 is black. . I was wondering with the four pills if it gets hot or not.

I got a connex 4300-400 a couple years ago pretty cheap off a guy . It has the same 4 transistor 2879 PA as the radios mentioned above. Since Im not a big AMer, I took the amp off the connex and added to my RCI 2950. Now I have an easy 550 watts SSB and around 525 on AM. 125 watt FM carrier. I put this setup in my bronco since I dont want an external amp incase I get caught in the rain with the top off. I LOVE THIS RADIO!!!!!! It sounds awesome and runs relatively cool!

My next Idea is to find another identical amp and alter the cover to fit the top of my 2950. Then Ill have an 1100 watt radio. Most practical....NOPE...But fun!

Hey I like your idea, I love wild conversions.
If you ever end up modding the top cover and making a 8 tranny 2950 please post

Hey I like your idea, I love wild conversions.
If you ever end up modding the top cover and making a 8 tranny 2950 please post

Will do! Im glad to see a black version coming out again. I have run across a couple of chrome ones already, But I didnt want to go through the trouble of painting and such. Maybe now I can get my hands on the newer ones.

I see where they are doing around 400 watts on SSB @ a price of $625 - $685........
For that price I will just stick with my 2970n2.

I've had the 6900's in the past and will never have another one!

Reactions: mb91w126
I see where they are doing around 400 watts on SSB @ a price of $625 - $685........
For that price I will just stick with my 2970n2.

I've had the 6900's in the past and will never have another one!

I think I'll likely buy a TS350 a mate it to my 99v.

I have done some reading on this radio and am interested if anyone has bought one yet. I realize a radio with an external amp is best but there are times when that set up isn't feasible.

I dropped the 6 large on mine, what a big mistake. I wanted a nice radio for in my big truck. This damn thing is constantly drifting. I have never had a report of great audio. Along with the crazy red print on a chrome face plate. It is almost impossible to read. I still have it in my truck but one of these days it will become the proverbial boat anchor. I even paid extra for a tune up. Ranger dropped the ball big time on this rig.

I ended up getting an S9-175 and was really pleased. In fact I just bought a used S9-350 to replace the S9-175. Buying used one can save a lot of money.

I ended up getting an S9-175 and was really pleased. In fact I just bought a used S9-350 to replace the S9-175. Buying used one can save a lot of money.

I wish that I had found this radio used, it wouldn't hurt so bad.. I wish that I had just went with the n2. Very expensive lesson.. I will start shopping the forum pages for a replacement for this paper weight.. I should have bought a good ham radio and opened it up.

Reactions: 70cst
A friend has one I like the looks, He said he doesn't like the auto squelch. Can't be turned off and he keys the mic when the radio goes silent.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.