• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rci8719

• Thread starter rockinredsrooster
  • Start date
R

rockinredsrooster

An old Codger I know here in Cincinnati that works on radio's and amplifiers (mostly tubes) expands the RCI8719 PLL instead of swapping it out for the MB model. Every where I look for mods for that PLL, replacement is reccomended as it's a 6 bit clone to the original 7 bit. I asked him about the replacement deal and he said they are just fine and work, he said the reason most replace it is because it's not stable beyond 45 channels above or below as the VCO wont lock that far out? He told me he has done many of them without a problem. I have a radio he modified and it does just fine. Is what he said true? keep it 40 above or below and there fine? Is there more to be seen here?

</p>

An old Codger I know here in Cincinnati that works on radio's and amplifiers (mostly tubes) expands the RCI8719 PLL instead of swapping it out for the MB model. Every where I look for mods for that PLL, replacement is reccomended as it's a 6 bit clone to the original 7 bit. I asked him about the replacement deal and he said they are just fine and work, he said the reason most replace it is because it's not stable beyond 45 channels above or below as the VCO wont lock that far out? He told me he has done many of them without a problem. I have a radio he modified and it does just fine. Is what he said true? keep it 40 above or below and there fine? Is there more to be seen here?

</p>

Hi,

there are all sorts of conflicting info about the RCI 8719 PLL, personally I dont know what the actual situation is with it, I wish I did so i could give a definative answer to people, however, what I suspect is that the early generation of the RCI 8719 could ot be expanded, and the later versions are able to be expanded, but I really dont know, I have been getting reports from various people that the RCI 8719 can be expanded in the normal way, just like the MB8719, but then I have also had reports that it cant..go figure !

I am starting to lean more towards the possibility that it can be expanded, I have not had a radio here yet that used that PLL and required expansion, so I have not had a chance to try it out for myself yet, I am sure that one day someone will bring me one to work on and then I will be able to work out what the story actually is, the problem is that over here (in New Zealand) we dont get that type of radio over here, unless someone has brought it in from the US themselves.

The Defpom

www.radiomods.co.nz/

www.TheDefpom.com

www.s-and-m-software.com</p>

Hi,

there are all sorts of conflicting info about the RCI 8719 PLL, personally I dont know what the actual situation is with it, I wish I did so i could give a definative answer to people, however, what I suspect is that the early generation of the RCI 8719 could ot be expanded, and the later versions are able to be expanded, but I really dont know, I have been getting reports from various people that the RCI 8719 can be expanded in the normal way, just like the MB8719, but then I have also had reports that it cant..go figure !

I am starting to lean more towards the possibility that it can be expanded, I have not had a radio here yet that used that PLL and required expansion, so I have not had a chance to try it out for myself yet, I am sure that one day someone will bring me one to work on and then I will be able to work out what the story actually is, the problem is that over here (in New Zealand) we dont get that type of radio over here, unless someone has brought it in from the US themselves.

The Defpom

www.radiomods.co.nz/

www.TheDefpom.com

www.s-and-m-software.com</p>

RCI-8719 & VCO

Whether or not the VCO can handle the additional 40 channels above and below the regular channels has nothing to do with the RCI-8719 PLL IC itself. It is a function of the synthesizer design that was done around the chip for the particular radio. To be precise it is a function of the VCO design.
a VCO is basically a free running oscillator equipped with a variable capacitance diode (a varactor) to keep it on a particular frequency. The varactor diode is coupled to the VCO's oscillator LC tank by means of a small coupling capacitor. The more tight the varactor is coupled to the oscillator LC tank, the larger the VCO range is over the full control voltage range. (the type of varactor used is also a parameter which determines the ultimate VCO range.)

The good news is that from the above it follows that the VCO range can be expanded if it turns out not to be enough by default, by simply increasing the value of the coupling capacitor, or by replacing the varactor with a different type having a larger capacitance range, or both.
Keep in mind that when doing this the VCO frequency range will increase, but the VCO center frequency will shift downward, which will have to be compensated for by reducing the oscillator tank inductor (usually by readjusting the ferrite core but if this is not enough a turn will have to be removed from the oscillator tank coil)

As a general remark, after studying the RCI-8719 chip data sheet, I have come to the conclusion that the chip is basically in the Motorola MC145106 family of PLL chips (of which the PLL02A is probably the most well-known family member). Although a reliable performer, this kind of chip design is more than 30 years old and I was stunned to see that companies like Ranger and Galaxy still use this ancient chip. The disadvantage of this PLL chip over newer versions is that it cannot handle frequencies much higher than 5 MHz on the input of the programmable divider, which as a result always requires the VCO frequency to be downmixed first with the help of a fixed crystal frequency before the programmable divider can digest it.

In this day and age of cellphones operating in the 1.8GHz band, and all kind of other consumer products operating much above 1 GHz (like satellite tuners, 802.11 wireless LAN and bluetooth devices), PLL synthesizers exist in modern CMOS technology that can divide-down these frequencies without the use of any mixers and even prescalers. So using these modern chips would eliminate the PLL crystal oscillator used in the CB radio's VCO downmixer. Cost can not be the reason either, as these modern CMOS PLLs are probably cheaper than the RCI-8719 chip itself. It is like time has been frozen to a standstill in the CB world...:sad:

Reactions: Larry A McClanahan
What a very technical masterpiece for a first post.

Can you dumb it down a few notches for a fella like me?:confused::laugh:

Reactions: Cpt shakes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.