• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Real tall antenna imax 2000 Problem

Hey Six thanks for the comeback. So I'm new to this cross needle meter. I thought that where the 2 needles crossed that was my reading. So is it where the needle crosses the actual red hash marks?

He is just being complicated. The swr is read where the needles cross.

I just looked at the pic again, and I don't know where the 1.5:1 came from. Looks horrible to me.

Which clamps on the mast to the crane or antenna to the mast?
It looks like hose clamps holding the mast to the crane?

You're right they are hose clamps. So I checked the antenna with my analyzer. The best I got was 2.0. Also checked the coax with the multi & its also good. Anyone think I should go ahead & ground the mast?

Try an antron 99 check your meter and coax . Change it all to see if it makes a difference. Check your swr with an swr meter on the radio . Check your jumper coax . See if swr changes as the antenna sways in the wind .

So here is the problem. There is something short in the antenna. Reason being I told you guys earlier I checked with the analyzer at the antenna & 2.1. So later on I did check the coax going into the meter & it was still infinity. I went back up to check the antenna again & it was infinity. So it has to be the antenna. I tested the coax cable, it's fine.

That sucks , my IMAX just snapped I had it for about 10 years pretty much always flat match . You could put up a mobile antenna and you would still rock the air waves lol :) I wonder if the Crazy Crane Operators are still on 32 down in Miami :)

I had a mobile on my last crane it worked really well. The only difference was my recieve. I had trouble hearing signals from far out like I hear on the max, even skip I had a few locals telling me that someone in skip land was calling me. I'm going to get another base antenna. I just need to find something other than the max. 3rd one in 5yrs. I looked at the sirio gain master but 500 watts is not enough. My No Name (R.I.P. STICK MAN) will kill it idk bummer. Thank you guys for all of the responses. Seventy thirds

Reactions: 357magnum

DC my eyesight is bad, but based on the meter reading in you inital post, the antenna SWR looks to be infinite...and that is beyond bad.

The last image you posted looks like the coax is not connected to the bottom of the antenna.

DC star, the IMAX antenna will show a dead short if tested with a multimeter from center pin to shield.

there is an inductor that connects them, and the way it works is that at 27mhz that coil has an impedance, but if checked for continuity, will show a short.

here is a diagram:
58dbf11bd1780_Solarcon_I-MAX_2000_.jpg

when you saw that 2.0 SWR on your analyzer, what frequency was that at, and what did X read?

also, you could just use one of these: https://www.wolfradio.com/wb11m.htm
that way you could mount it either vertically or horizontally.

If i had that kind of height to work with, i would want to be able to go flat side. also, they mention cranes in the ad!
LC

Last edited:
i updated my post before i read your response so please re-read it.

were you able to get that same 2.0 SWR using the radio?
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.