• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC-450 new in box will it work?

sluggo

Aug 11, 2010
Hello folks my dad was heavy into cb radios in the 70's and 80's I recently found a trc-450 ssb radio he bought new but never used it is still in the box wrapped up and never opened. I found the radio in a closet in there house after he passed. My question is do you think the radio will fire up and work or because of the age capicitors and other things may be to old? Is it risky to power it up or should I let a tech do it or what. I want to put the radio in my truck (silverado) also is a cigarete lighter ok to use as a power source? thanks guys.

no reason not to. you can get some extra channels out of it because of the mb8719 pll.

Hello folks my dad was heavy into cb radios in the 70's and 80's I recently found a trc-450 ssb radio he bought new but never used it is still in the box wrapped up and never opened. I found the radio in a closet in there house after he passed. My question is do you think the radio will fire up and work or because of the age capicitors and other things may be to old? Is it risky to power it up or should I let a tech do it or what. I want to put the radio in my truck (silverado) also is a cigarete lighter ok to use as a power source? thanks guys.

How are we supposed to know whether it will work or not????? Hook it up and find out for yourself. Sure the caps might be dried out but you won't know until you power it up. Some of those old Realistic radios are performers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I know this is a old post, but the TRC-450 has the 8734 PLL in it. Radio Shack had all the Uniden 8719 chassis built with the 8734 to prevent out of band operation...little did they know..

Reactions: tecnicoloco

This thread is a bit old, but I just came across the exact same radio in the exact same condition, and it worked like a champ. Not a single issue. BTW, does anyone know when these were produced? I'm guessing around 1979-1980.

I bought one new in 1981 and still have it to this day. Never had the covers off of it. Still works as good as the day I bought it.

Attachments

• fcae666fc2773dc775e8ea19fcc184ff9853aca5f2097f14a1b7f06a8304595d.jpg
    fcae666fc2773dc775e8ea19fcc184ff9853aca5f2097f14a1b7f06a8304595d.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 9
It's not just the years, it's the miles, too.

A low-mileage capacitor will most-likely still be good 40-plus years old, especially from that era. Mileage will take its toll, and capacitors will "remember" how old they are after exposure to heat and operating stress for a while.

And a radio that was operated for 12 hours a day over 15 to 20 years will have a very different mileage profile after 43 years or so.

Mostly we use the cockroach method to determine that a radio needs to be re capped. When you see one cockroach boldly out in the open, you know more of them are hiding in the woodwork. When the first few electrolytic caps go south in an old radio, we assume that the dominoes have begun to fall, and it's time to replace all the electrolytics.

Last edited:
Mostly we use the cockroach method to determine that a radio needs to be re capped. When you see one cockroach boldly out in the open, you know more of them are hiding in the woodwork. When the first few electrolytic caps go south in an old radio, we assume that the dominoes have begun to fall, and it's time to replace all the electrolytics.

Leave it to me to take that cockroach thing literal.
IMG_20231211_153759878.jpg

Relax y'all, they're are all dead. Guy who owns this radio doesn't have cockroaches (except these) but the guy he got it from a few years ago, he could use some advice. But that smell, it still lingers!

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.