• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend a Filter

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I am setting up a new base...really trying to avoid any chance of TVI. I'll be running stock power (type-accepted radio) through a dipole.

What would be a good low pass filter, just in case?

I know that either the 'Bencher' or the 'I.C.E.' are preferred by Hams and CBers alike. But there is more to RFI than just a filter; many other considerations apply. Even a 'type-approved CB' can still oversaturate some electrical appliance by proximity if susceptible to RF. The only way to know for sure is to hook it all up and hope that an irate neighbor doesn't show up on your doorstep.

Telephones are prone to RF too. Hams and CBers must comply to any possible complaint by running a filter on someone's phone . Some phones are also more prone to it than others. You may have to sort out a lot of dilemmas and dramas - or maybe none at all. So - hook it all up and find out for yourself. Don't assume that you even need a filter, you must hook it all up and test it all to find out.

One important thing that MUST be done to assure everything is done properly - is to ground everything. Even this can cause problems - so be ready to troubleshoot as trouble presents itself. This hobby is about the learning and experience - so be patient and observant. And - don't be afraid to ask the right questions...

Last edited:
Telephones, TVs and such are covered by FCC Rules (47 CFR Part 15). As "Part 15 devices", they must accept interference from licensed services. Amateur radio is a licensed service; CB is not.

If someone is experiencing such interference and it's coming from a licensed amateur station, it's up to the ham to verify that the station is operating properly in all respects. If it is, that's it. The FCC may visit the station to double-check things, but if they do, and all is in order, the complainant will be politely told to pound sand. The licensed amateur does not have to provide filters or anything else if his station is operating/operated properly. And, the amateur risks losing his license if his station is NOT operating or not operated properly.

CB, being an unlicensed service, doesn't have the protection of the FCC.

I thought CB licensing was implied when operating by virtue of consent to follow the rules, and that the equipment must be certified by the FCC.

Telephones, TVs and such are covered by FCC Rules (47 CFR Part 15). As "Part 15 devices", they must accept interference from licensed services. Amateur radio is a licensed service; CB is not.

If someone is experiencing such interference and it's coming from a licensed amateur station, it's up to the ham to verify that the station is operating properly in all respects. If it is, that's it. The FCC may visit the station to double-check things, but if they do, and all is in order, the complainant will be politely told to pound sand. The licensed amateur does not have to provide filters or anything else if his station is operating/operated properly. And, the amateur risks losing his license if his station is NOT operating or not operated properly.

CB, being an unlicensed service, doesn't have the protection of the FCC.
Many licensed operators have met with vigilanty style justice due to those rules set forth by the fcc.

If you interupt my phone call I will get the largest most barkingest dog I can find and he will keep you up all night.:love:

Drake TV-3300-LP

I use a Drake Drake TV-3300-LP for a good 10 - 11 meter filter. I,ll get flamed for this,(i get cried at for everything) but it works great with 2 4-400 tubes to about 50 mhz. Attenuation is better than 80 db above 41 MHz. These are on the bay regulary for under 30 bucks. It has stopped my neighbors from coplaining about my 4-400 A,s

Many licensed operators have met with vigilanty style justice due to those rules set forth by the fcc.

If you interupt my phone call I will get the largest most barkingest dog I can find and he will keep you up all night.:love:

HAHAHA that's funny!

I did have a little problem with a neighbor once, I did install a Bencher YA-1 and my problems went away.
Funny thing is he was at his house trying to make illegal copies of DVDs and I was interupting his burns, lol.

As most of you have seen, I'm in the process of setting up a base. My main concern is bothering my neighbors. I intend to tell my closests neighbors to tell me if anything acts wierd when I get setup.

I know all the houses around me were built the same way, and the cable is poorly installed RG59 that will bleed with fairly low power...how low is the question. I bled into my TVs from the mobile parked out front before I rewired with RG6 quad shield. Plus all the phones.

This will be a completely barefoot Washington that will be tuned by DTB Radio.

I have completed my "droopy" dipole, using two horizontal 102 whips. The feedpoint is around 18 feet above ground surface. Its around 25 feet from my house, and 40 feet from my closest neighbor.

I'm hoping to have it more less ready for the radio this weekend.

Around $90 seems right, I've seen them 65-125 new. I got mine used for $40
Spend the money, find either a new or used YA-1, their money well spent versus the 10 and 20 dollar stuff you could waste money on and not be happy.
First thing though would be to see if you even interfere with the neighbors.

check ebay for the low pass filter.

drake and bencher both make very good ones.

just buy one that is advertised in the ham market and stay far away from any that are advertised in the CB market and you will be fine.

i would not buy a new one as they are very expensive, and there are always good deals to be had used because so many people buy one thinking that it will solve their problems only to find out that harmonics were not the cause of the interference to the neighbors.

OK, this is from experience:
DONT TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS THAT YOU MIGHT BE INTERFERING WITH THEIR STUFF!!!!!

the reason for this, is that most people have absolutely no clue about RF, radios, CB, interference, or electronics in general.

if you tell them that you might interfere with their TV or phone; every time their cable goes out or the phone makes a funny noise, they will be at your door blaming you.

and even when you KNOW 100% for sure that you weren't even on the radio, they will still think it was you, and will continue to think it forever.

now, if you happen to be friends with your neighbors, then there is a slight chance that they might not blame you.

yes, this is just my opinion, so hopefully others will chime in and say whether their experience has been similar to mine or not.

a question i have for you is, is the law on your side?
by that i mean, do you live in an HOA or other antenna restricting neighborhood?

if so, then you are screwed and are at the mercy of your neighbors.

if not, then you just need to make sure that DTB tunes your radio within legal specs.

make sure he sets your deadkey at about 3.5 watts, and that he sets the modulation so it wont exceed 100%

also, have him tune the 54mhz coil in the radio with his spec analyzer to make sure you arent putting out any harmonics.

if you do this, you really dont need a low pass filter, and if you do interfere with anyone's electronics; you can be sure its because of the cheap way they were manufactured and has nothing to do with your station.

you are in the enviable position of being part of the 1% of cb'ers that operate a completely legal station. LOL

if you interfere with their cable TV, tell them to call the cable company.

if you interfere with their phone, tell them to call the phone company.

if the power lines near your house interfere with your radio, call the power company and tell them to fix the problem.

if you are worried about your antenna being seen, let me know and i will tell you how to make an invisible antenna.

as long as you dont tell anyone that you have a CB setup, no one will bother you.

good luck,
LC

I run 500 watts avg at the house with no filter. Clean radio helps alot. Ice Bencher Drake all are good.

OK, this is from experience:
DONT TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS THAT YOU MIGHT BE INTERFERING WITH THEIR STUFF!!!!!
I totally agree. Don't go around telling your neighbors that crap. You are asking for trouble. Just keep a low profile and do your thing. Make adjustments if you get complaints. As far as low pass filters go. Bencher or ICE will work. Also try to ground your equipment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.