• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Replacement diodes old tube amps

Harley3315

Oct 22, 2015
Got these two old tube amps that came in with some diodes cracked in half google searches get me know where one of them is 7304 diode the other side of the diode has this number 29GD anyone have an idea what these are or what I can replace them with?

The "7304" is most likely a date code for the fourth week of 1973.

That should make "29GD" the part number. Haven't turned up any specs for that number.

This leaves me wondering what this diode was used for. Is it a high-voltage rectifier? Or is it a tiny glass signal diode like you see in a preamp or keying circuit?

The parts used for those jobs are fairly generic. How many tubes the power supply is feeding will figure when choosing rectifiers.

Attachments

• broken diode1.jpg
    broken diode1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 81
  • broken diode2.jpg
    broken diode2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 79
Harley3315,
Do you know the manufacturer and model of the amp? What tube type(s) are in the amp?
Kind of looks like a half wave rectifier for a "medium voltage" supply. Possibly a negative voltage supply-due to it being tied to the negative lead of a 150v capacitor.
If that is the case, I would replace it with a 1N5408 diode(1000v 3amp capable) should cover all the needs in that application.

David

Reactions: tecnicoloco
If it's a zener, I'm not seeing a hint as to what kind. A rectifier like a 1N4007 or 1N5408 shouldn't cause any damage when installed where a zener was meant to be. Might cause some confusion if the carrier power takes a nosedive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.