• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Replies in the Swap Shops - feedback wanted

Should people be able to reply to Swap Shop listings?

• Yes, I think this adds value to the forum.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No, I like it just like it is.

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'd like to get everyone's feedback on whether or not they would like the reply capability turned back on in the Swap Shops. For those that may not remember, we used to have replies allowed but turned it off because people got butt hurt when they listed something stupid and got called out on it by others. If the consensus is that we all want reply capability back, then it will be with the understanding that if you post something that is a piece of crap and want a ridiculous price for it, then deal with the replies on your own without whining to a moderator.

What say you all?

I'd like to see it back. I think it can help avoid dishonesty, to a degree. If people get out of hand and disrespectful, then they can be sanctioned by admins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
IMHO - I like it as it is.
I've seen these Swap Shop threads turn into a huge debate - or even a circus freak show - when comments used to be allowed. What a real mess that was! Really defeated the whole purpose of running an ad. Whenever I bought something from the Swap Shop here or had a question about the item, I'd just shoot the seller a PM. Bought a few things from here, and will do it again if business is concise and to the point.

If someone wants/needs to debate an item; then they can start a thread and raise their issues.

Please leave the Swap Shop format as it is . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
it will be with the understanding that if you post something that is a piece of crap and want a ridiculous price for it, then deal with the replies on your own without whining to a moderator.

^ +1 :D

I was (still am, just don't visit much anymore) a mod at a vb site with well over 100k paying members.
When the site was first started, replies were allowed in the for sale and wanted sections.
Just as you stated, there were many flame posts directed at the seller as well as "tire kicker" replies.
We ended up turning off the replies and made rules for the classified section that stated:
  • No personal information posted other than email address
  • No "OBO" or "highest bidder" listings
  • Must post pictures and give a detailed description
  • State if you want replies via forum message or email
  • No bulk sales unless you are a paid advertiser... we set a quota at 5 items
    per 30 days and say if you had a "lot" of 5 whatever in one post, that counted as 5 items.

We never had any real trouble with the for sale section other than a few online vendors that kept trying to use the forum for a market place.

I'd like to get everyone's feedback on whether or not they would like the reply capability turned back on in the Swap Shops. For those that may not remember, we used to have replies allowed but turned it off because people got butt hurt when they listed something stupid and got called out on it by others. If the consensus is that we all want reply capability back, then it will be with the understanding that if you post something that is a piece of crap and want a ridiculous price for it, then deal with the replies on your own without whining to a moderator.

What say you all?

While that may have been the case some times there were also a great many times when someone would ridicule the poster about price, options, appearance etc with no intent whatsoever of buying the item. My thinking is if it does not or will not affect you then keep your pie hole shut in that section. That is if we open it up for replies again. As for voting I will remain neutral and deal with whatever the outcome is.

Reactions: 3 people
Leave it the way it is. Reactivating replies just opens the door for opinions and drama again. If we have questions about the items(s) it's easy to send a PM. Why change it if it's working? Seems like another headache for the moderators as well.

Reactions: 1 person
NO replies.

I know exactly what Mole is discussing.

I got a 7 day suspension for calling an asshole an asshole in the public forum swap shop section.

I agree with CK, replies have nothing to do with an ad. If any questions send a PM.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck then it damn sure is not a cat. Call it like it is.

Leave replies off.

Start a new section for seller/buyer ratings and let their reputation speak for itself.

While I voted no I don't have any problem with replies in the swap shop section. I could see a benefit to allowing replies, but people being people will screw it up, apparently again.

I would change my vote to a yes if there are strict rules put in place and (this is the important part) enforced.

The DB

Reactions: 2 people
While I voted no I don't have any problem with replies in the swap shop section. I could see a benefit to allowing replies, but people being people will screw it up, apparently again.

I would change my vote to a yes if there are strict rules put in place and (this is the important part) enforced.

The DB

I would trust you to moderate that section.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.