• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Repurposing the poop pipe. (ouch, babe!)

ButtFuzz

Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor
Aug 11, 2005
Sunny Salem, VA
robco.ath.cx
Here's another antenna project, aka the Droopy Drawers Dipole. One of many things you can mount on that "poop pipe" on the top of your house. This one consists of more salvaged DirecTV parts and hollow bottom from that patriot 12' antenna someone gave me. (Stay WELL away from those antennae). The radiators are 102" Radio Shack stainless steel whips, unmodified.

A closeup of the mount...
001.jpg

The business end: An MFJ-347 mounted to the top of the repurposed bottom end of the patriot antenna. 4 turns @ 6" diameter RF choke (NOT a balun...). You can use 6 turns at 4" diameter, too. All I had handy was a 2 liter soda bottle for the form, so you use what you got...
006.jpg

Close-up of the mount stuck down the poop-pipe and semi-secured (to prevent unintentional rotation) with more DirecTV dish salvage...
004.jpg

The business end of the antenna after mounting in the poop pipe, and weatherproofing the connectors and giving the FRP a coat of "black shellac" for good measure. (and stealthiness?)
005.jpg

"Spread Your (not so) Tiny Wings and Fly Away...":
003.jpg

Up on the roof with the ButtCrax 2000 (TM) antenna in the background for perspective...
007.JPG

And last, but not least, I always have to put a pic of the ButtCrax 2000 .64 Valley-Wide antenna up for good measure!
002.jpg

This antenna is relatively broadbanded, covering the FCC 40 < 1.5:1 vSWR and the 10 Meter phone band < 1.7:1 vSWR. This is "as mounted" with no tuning. Trimming those 102" stainless steel whips? No thanks.

You know, I get more enjoyment out of the comedy in your posts than I can describe. :LOL:

But in all seriousness, you do some pretty good work re-purposing other equipment for radio use. It gives me so many ideas...

just think a piece of 1 inch angle iron and another piece welded together forming a T shape

now on each ends of the T attach a antron or imax in the horizontal angle
one pointing left and the other pointing right
2 pieces on coax
going to a antenna selector
flip switch to both antennas and it mounted at 30 foot in the air

555 Tasks Me!!!

""To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

KIRK!

Khan, from ST II.

(OK, really from Moby Dick, but, much like my antennae parts, repurposed for convenience by the movie moguls...)

'cause I'm TNT...

... and I'm not talkin' trinitrotoluene, either.

I'm talkin' tree roots 'n' turds !!!

Yuk!

That's too much. At my first house some years back I was having a little problemo with the poop pipe down below, and they brought out one of those magic little cameras-on-a-snake and showed me where my magnificent magnolia tree had plugged up the effluent exhaust.

"Don't mess with Mother Nature".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.