• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF sampler

ThirstyBoots440

Local Trash Talker
Oct 27, 2011
Richmond, VA
Does anyone have a link to the schematics for the modulation monitor? As far as I remember it was a simple home brew project that installed behind the radio and had a headphone jack all in a little box. I can't remember or find it for the life of me...this is what happens when I get on percs for pain :blink:

similar, what I saw once but lost the favorite for, was coax going through a small project box, and sampling off that somehow to headphones. I'm so scatterbrained right now I can't hardly find my own inbox for my email account lol

actually found it on another forum, here's what I was talking about. Take the BNC side off and it's what I was looking for. now excuse me while I go bang my head into a wall.

The RF Sampler you listed RatsoW8, is actually what prompted me to start looking for this one that I found. I saw that project and remembered I'd seen basically the same thing set up but for headphone use. There have been simpler designs though, but I can't remember them. One I believe involved stripping some coax and wrapping wire around the center conductor to sample, though I'm not too sure I'd want to attempt that method.

Thanks for the help guys, and a tip of the hat to doughboy at CBJunkies for making that search a little easier with the provided schematic.

Attachments

• rfsampler.jpg
    rfsampler.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 88
Grogan, the contributing post from the other forum says it needs a germanium diode at 1N34A. The BNC output need not be present unless you want to hook up an oscilloscope. Also this version is good for up to 16 watts carrier, it's recommended to tie in another 2700 ohm res in parallel with the choke. For 10 to 160 watts, change the original 2700 ohm with a a 10K 2 watt resistor. 160-375 watts, change original with a 27k 2 watt resistor, both variations you'll want to leave the 2700 ohm res. in parallel with the 100 uH choke. Another note is, running it patched behind an amplifier as it doesn't drive headphones straight that well. I'll be building one myself real soon...again, thanks to doughboy for this info.

actually found it on another forum, here's what I was talking about. Take the BNC side off and it's what I was looking for. now excuse me while I go bang my head into a wall.

The RF Sampler you listed RatsoW8, is actually what prompted me to start looking for this one that I found. I saw that project and remembered I'd seen basically the same thing set up but for headphone use. There have been simpler designs though, but I can't remember them. One I believe involved stripping some coax and wrapping wire around the center conductor to sample, though I'm not too sure I'd want to attempt that method.

Thanks for the help guys, and a tip of the hat to doughboy at CBJunkies for making that search a little easier with the provided schematic.

Nice find. I may build one this weekend. I live close to a Radio Shack that actually still sells all the parts needed for this sampler.

LOL, I just placed a big order at mouser and made sure I had the stuff to do this. I can't remember where I found it, but I'm using a CDI Extractor for the pickup, so I'm just building the audio monitor. Messing with two radios is a pain.

I just placed a order Mouser! Two radios are a pain especially if you want a simple watergate setup.

JoeDirt, thanks for the find! Yeah I'm about to start building mine tomorrow after I clean up my bench a little bit. Building too many antennas here lately so I've got scrap delrin and copper all over the place. Hmm, I do have an empty KL-40 case, I wonder if that would work as a good project box for a sampler.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.