• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF watt meter

If the meter is an average (RMS) reading wattmeter and the dead key is high on the radio it will probably swing backwards. Most of the time you will need a peak reading meter to show forward swing. Check on channel 1 and then 40 to see if the radio swings forward on one or the other. If so the radio is out of tune. This happens a lot when someone does a tune up and does not balance the power between the limits.
What type of radio do you have and has it had any work done on it? Alsow what kind of wattmeter do you have?

BC

Very basically it means that the transmitter is miss adjusted, too much carrier, it's being 'pushed' too hard. Like it or not, that's the way it is.
- 'Doc

"Check on channel 1 and then 40 to see if the radio swings forward on one or the other. If so the radio is out of tune."

huh?

If the radio has been mistuned (or tuned on one channel only) the wattage output will vary greatly between 1 and 40. Checking this way will let you know if the problem is a bad tune up or something else. A properly tuned radio should do the same wattage on channel 1 as it does on channel 40.

I wondered too, like freecell, but I'm afraid you've clarified it enough for me to say that your suggestion is very much flawed in how it's stated. It depends entirely on what you mean by 'mistuned', since that can mean a lot of different things. You are correct in saying that a properly 'tuned' radio should have the same output on channels 1 through 40 (or close enough for all practical purposes), but that statement is so 'broad' that it's almost meaningless. Can you be a little more specific?
- 'Doc

Ok. I figured it should have been simple enough for just about anyone to understand but I'll try a little harder. "IF" the radio transmit chain is tuned to one specific channel (like tuning the radio on channel 8, for example) when you check output power at say channel 30-40 the wattage will vary greatly. I have seen radios tuned like that before (keying 3, swinging 12 on channel 8) and on the upper side of the frequency range (30-40) would be keying 4-5 watts and swinging backwards or have no swing either way.
I'm sure if you have been around radios long enough you have seen this also.

Regards,

BC

BD,
You're right, I've been around radios for a little while. You're also wrong, can't say I've ever seen that happen because of an improperly tuned transmitter. The 'catch' is that the transmitter has to be tuned properly to start with, and that it is operating into a proper load. 'Backswing' indicates an improperly tuned transmitter, one usually being driven too hard, lots of 'swing' and very little 'dead-key'. Or, if you'd like the proper terminology, too much modulation and too little carrier. If by chance you see that 'backswing' only on one channel instead of all of them, I think I'd take another look at that transmitter. Bet it's been 'mod'ed beyond reason, which is about normal/typical for most mod'ed CB equipment.
- 'Doc

For what it's worth, I've seen cheap 20 to 25 dollar SWR/Power meter for CB that swing backwards no matter what radio you are using. Maybe the OP should try to borrow a good quaility meter and get a second opinion.

The meter is probably the real reason he was experiencing the swinging backwards problem. I noticed he has not replied as far as what type of meter he was using or answered any other questions asked.
Doc, If you hang around radios long enough you will see this happen. I won't tell you that you are wrong but you will see it. An improper tuned transmitter can also mean too much dead key and very little swing. On an average reading meter this will cause a backward swing.
When "Joe Bob Gooberhead" gets into his radio and starts tuning everything that has a slug or adjustment point this will happen. Take a junker radio and prove it to yourself.............it won't be hard to do. Just tune it for max power on say channel 5 and then check on channel 35. Do it like someone without proper test equipment or complete knowledge of how a transmitter operates and the results will be there.

I want to take this time to wish everyone a safe and relaxing Fourth of July holiday. Also remember that our freedom is not free.

BC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.