• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFI through alarm system speaker on control panel

Charlie337

Nov 13, 2014
I started in cb years ago so dont flame me pls Ive heard of the hatred to the 11m guys but I started and still reside there on lsb.. and 95% of the guys there are golden.I am studying for tech and gen..not that it matters. .these new houses are wired for wifi and alarm from the get go in my parts (Houston)last night i was on 37lsb am and decided to get on just am 19 and do a check and check in with the local yokels and my wife was in the house..and heard me make a call..through the alarm system panel speaker ive just got an old non mod 959 and a wilson 5000..was just thinking all the wire in the house acted as a radiator and somehow the panel demodulated my sig to the speaker? Sorry if my theory is flawed ..help me understand thanks in advance..prob overthinking it

RF from a mobile in the driveway can be a problem. Try getting some clamp-on ferret chokes at Radio Shack and if you can put them "close" on the lines going into the devices that alert.

Well good luck Charlie337, and keep us posted.

Welcome to WWDX from Ole Grampa...when he's on the air and can get across the county line.

Reactions: Charlie337
Hey Charlie, I'll bet the ferrites will do it. You may have to play around with exactly where to put them for maximum effect, but it should do the trick. Good luck with Tech and General!

Brett

Thanks mucho is there much chatter in the bands in Tx? Any of you guys still play on 11 meters?

I have not played much on 11 meters at all since I got my General license. But yes, there's some activity. Not as much as there was a couple of years ago, though.

Brett

Hi,
On ebay REAL cheap. .01uf 50volt disc capacitors On the + of the speaker solder 1 to ground.

Ferite chokes 10 pieces just a few bucks from 3MM and up. ShitShack is expensive.

Put these on all + side wiring going to the Alarm station. Place more .o1uf caps on all +

terminals. Also .68 ohm in line chokes work on the + and - of the Speaker.

A bit of time. But it will knock out the RFI issue. Make sure your Ant. is grounded to earth also.

73s Best John

Reactions: Moleculo
I had a similar problem setting off the alarm by talking on 40/80m with power. A couple of .01uf capacitors across the DC power leads took care of the problem.

Reactions: Charlie337

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio