• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFX-150; anyone seen this before?

I could also see this as being a viable option for the RCI-2995DX radios. Instead of running 8 IRF520's, you could run this with the 2-ERF7530's and it wouldn't tax the power supply as much. I'd be interested in looking into a few of these myself, actually. Be perfect for my Cobra 146GTL's.

~Cheers~

Reactions: sdmahr
The Magnum 257HP I have been running sounds great on SSB (factory RFX-75) so I don't see why this new version would be any different. Maybe it's the replacement to the 175 watt power cabinet thing they used to sell.

the rfx-150 looks like it could be used on almost any cb radio unlike the rfx-75 or im i thing wrong

It can be installed on just about anything. It needs 30 to 40 watts of drive to get the most out of it. It will work with less but you get less output. Might last longer as they do get hot if you keep the key down too long. Get the fan kit and wire it so it is on all the time when the radio is on. Connect to the backside of the power switch so when the radio is off the fan is as well.
The install is much easier than the rfx75. Less modification to the main board is required. You just need the coax attached to where the SO-239 is connected, power, ground, and the transmit signal. If you put a switch on the Blue wire you can turn the amp off and on as needed for tuning antennas.
That's it except for drilling four holes in the back of the radio for the spacer plate.

Couldn't even begin to consider those transistors for 150 watts. Until the first three letters on the part start with something like MRF, it ain't worth the time to install a linear on a radio that uses restamed power supply transistors from China. You'd be about 1000 times better off with an external pair of 2879's. Even an older used amp would perform better.

Couldn't even begin to consider those transistors for 150 watts. Until the first three letters on the part start with something like MRF, it ain't worth the time to install a linear on a radio that uses restamed power supply transistors from China. You'd be about 1000 times better off with an external pair of 2879's. Even an older used amp would perform better.

There are lots of transistors that start with MRF and some of them are counterfeit parts that can't even begin to work as well as the Motorola parts. The transistors that are used in the RFX150 work very well.
AB biased and sound good on SSB. This is the way to go if you work for a trucking company that prohibits modification of their trucks. With the RFX150 you don't have run heavy and noticeable wires to feed it. In this case LESS is MORE.

Keep in mind those counterfeit Motorola's are coming out of the same unscrupulous country that manufactures these power supply transistors mismarketed for CB amps and places 2SC2879 on substandard parts. This thing doesn't even provide 6db of gain, has horrible efficiency and runs hot as can be.

Last edited:
These have been out for awhile now and they do work real nice, I have an account with A-1 Telecom and Ill have to look and see what my cost is on those. I had looked once before but forgot the price. I should order one right away as I was thinking about putting one on one of MY 2950's Im thinking of putting it on my 2950DX.

Ok I just logged into my A-1 Telecom account and seen its gonna be about or around $100.00. They have them instock and heres the info on them.

The RFX150 is a replacement part for 10 meter amateur transceivers. The RFX150 includes the RF final output stages and low pass filter section for a 10 meter mobile amateur transceiver. The RFX150 does not work independently, but it is an integral part from an amateur transceiver and is available for repair and replacement purposes. The RFX150 uses a matched pair of ERF7530 75W RF Power MOSFET from EKL Components.

Unique Vertical Fin Design Maximizes Heat Dissipation
It’s physics 101, heat rises. So why would anyone design a heat sink with horizontal or downward pointing fins! In lower power applications this may be okay, but when dealing with hundreds of watts in a mobile environment you need every advantage possible. That is why the RFX150 features a radically unique design with vertical upward pointing cooling fins. The fins extend past the transceiver’s top cabinet to allow increased air flow to the heat sink.

Latest Technology MOSFET’s in an Old School Circuit
The RFX150 uses a matched pair of ERF7530 high power MOSFET RF transistors running Class AB. The familiar push-pull design features time-tested components such as broadband transformers and dipped mica capacitors.

Made to Last
Heavy-Duty Power Cord with SAE Connectors and Weatherproof Fuse Holder

Fan Kit Ready
The RFX150 fins are drilled and channeled for easy mounting of the optional fan kit. Available separately.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.