• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RK-56 to Yeticom Optima

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
For some reason I am feeling hesitant on this conversion. I bought an 8 wire cord and connector off ebay. I checked pin/color, and found that pin 6 was cut from orange. Strange? I'm uncertain of ground1 vs mic ground. I am adding channel changing switches, but that part seems simple. Any help on what to what? I wouldn't be concerned if there wasn't power to the mic. Thanks

Attachments

• 20160210_214647.jpg
    20160210_214647.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 14

Posted by Camaro1 a long time ago. Hope this helps.
The thread that contains this info is as follows:
Optima mic wiring diagram (colors).
Again this is the thread subject header. And it has some good info regarding the optima mic wiring and such. Again hope this helps and have a good day sir.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 15
Also remeber that the RK56 mic is a noise canceling dynamic mic and not an electrec condensor mic, so I am not sure how well one will work with the optima mk3. Never heard of anyone using one on the optima mk3 anyhow. Also here is another pic that shows the color code and what it does on the rk56. Good luck and be safe. Just take your time!! Don't want to fry the radio that is for sure!! You could also ask Yeti Comm. LTD if he would be nice enough to help you figure it out. I'm sure he will. He is a good dude. Anyway. Have a good one.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 11
For some reason I am feeling hesitant on this conversion. I bought an 8 wire cord and connector off ebay. I checked pin/color, and found that pin 6 was cut from orange. Strange? I'm uncertain of ground1 vs mic ground. I am adding channel changing switches, but that part seems simple. Any help on what to what? I wouldn't be concerned if there wasn't power to the mic. Thanks
hi
first of all using a dynamic mic (NC or not) on a radio designed for ecm mics will sound quieter than the stock mic and has certain issues as below

next i believe the rk56 has a 6 core cable standard http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8407 ..considering the optima mic only uses 5 wires (4 wires plus shield) you didnt need to buy that cable at all attached is the stock optima mic wiring ..

if you insist on using a dynamic mic on the radio you WILL need to add a 104 (0.01uf) cap in series with the mic insert to pin 1 of the mic plug or you risk burning out the voltage regulator in the radio that powers the ecm insert in the stock mic as it will present a load to the regulator it was not designed for
which will kill any use of the stock mic in the future and possible damage to the cpu board

(this has NOTHING to do with the voltage present on pin 2 of the mic socket )
the cap provides isolation of the dc voltage from being loaded down by the element in the insert ..ac component such as audio will still pass from the element to radio (used as a dc blocker)

often people think pin 2 of the mic socket provides dc power to the element this is totally incorrect

this was provided for use with other powered mics/inserts such as dtmf mics or data mode modems .

i see on the RK56 diagram 222dbl has provided there is a cap in series with the mic audio wire..confirm this if you can

looking at the diagram 222dbl provided red and blue seem to be incorrect in diagram for rk56 ..diagram says red is ptt and blue is tx/rx common how ever on the actual diagram its self they are connected to the wrong terminals on the switch ....oh well lol

rk56 to optima should be
white (mic audio) to pin 1
red (tx) to pin 5
blue (common ) to pin 6
shield to pin 7
optima phantom mic wiring provided below for reference

Attachments

• 8 pin wiring late yeticom optima ver 1.2 plus.GIF
    8 pin wiring late yeticom optima ver 1.2 plus.GIF
    6.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: 222DBFL
Thx for clearing the air up on this Yeti Comm LTD.(y)(y). Was trying to help him and knew there was a reason why I haven't heard anyone using one of these mics with the optima mk3. Not that it can't be done. Just not worth it I suppose. Again, thx for helping!!

So using a 4 pin Turner +2 desk mike (using the optima MK3 as base) with
a Yaesu/Cobra 4 Pin Round Inline Mic Jack Adapter to ICOM 8 Pin Mic Plug
like this.....
s-l1600.jpg

is out of the question???

So using a 4 pin Turner +2 desk mike (using the optima MK3 as base) with
a Yaesu/Cobra 4 Pin Round Inline Mic Jack Adapter to ICOM 8 Pin Mic Plug
like this.....
s-l1600.jpg

is out of the question???

the turner +2 will be fine ..it has a dc blocking cap on the output and is not shunted by a low impedance path (it has a 33k shunt) personally the turner +3 would be a better choice but each to his own
the audio will be dx sharp ..a little too sharp maybe for locals while "rag chewing "

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
the turner +2 will be fine ..it has a dc blocking cap on the output and is not shunted by a low impedance path (it has a 33k shunt) personally the turner +3 would be a better choice but each to his own
the audio will be dx sharp ..a little too sharp maybe for locals while "rag chewing "

OK, thanks.....
Damn, Had a chance to get a turner +3 a while back.
I sure like the looks of the Turner +2..... just have to scout around and find a good Turner +3!

I saw that Mudduckmobile was using a 636l, and I assumed the road king would work well enough. I'm really not sure what I should do. I'm kinda thinking it might be best to shelf the optima until I get a base antenna up, but that might be a while. Is there any other options for a mic for mobile use, maybe a road devil or a 575?

I use 1 µF 10 volt tantalum capacitors with the positive side towards the radio for DC voltage blocking on my Icom for non electret mics. This is necessary for radios that have voltage out on the mic pins for mics not requiring voltage to operate like dynamic mics which is what the RK-56 is.

th

Also remeber that the RK56 mic is a noise canceling dynamic mic and not an electrec condensor mic, so I am not sure how well one will work with the optima mk3. Never heard of anyone using one on the optima mk3 anyhow. Also here is another pic that shows the color code and what it does on the rk56. Good luck and be safe. Just take your time!! Don't want to fry the radio that is for sure!! You could also ask Yeti Comm. LTD if he would be nice enough to help you figure it out. I'm sure he will. He is a good dude. Anyway. Have a good one.
I tryed a 636L once sounded like crap, you need the electric cond. mic.

I saw that Mudduckmobile was using a 636l, and I assumed the road king would work well enough. I'm really not sure what I should do. I'm kinda thinking it might be best to shelf the optima until I get a base antenna up, but that might be a while. Is there any other options for a mic for mobile use, maybe a road devil or a 575?
I quit using 636l as sounded like crap on yeti com., and yeticom is right you have to cap. it so you don't fry radio....only use 636l on rci 2970n4 now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.