• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy mobil amps

Hmmm. Have you installed one on a 980ssb? Mercy. Mounting is a bit of a challenge the first time but oh my gosh it is an excellent match for that radio on SSB. It really does wonders. That radio has all the tools but lacks the punch by itself. Good sidebander.

CbRadiosPRONTO

the 200p I have is choppy on the 980. Tried it on two different 980's that were well within drive limits. Also used it on a galaxy and was also choppy on sideband. after several people told me that the 200 was not a good amp for sideband I went with the kl503 and have not had anything but good reports since. maybe I just got a bad one I don't know but I read and research everything and the majority vote was get a kl203 or kl503 and the choppy sound would go away And it did. Kl200 class c amp maybe?

Kl200 class c amp maybe?
Yes it is class "C" amplifier.

The RM3 fet's are touchy when it comes to drive. The IRF520 were only putting out only a marginal gain in power.
I wondered why and went in and started taking active measurements. When dead keyed the line voltage on the circuit board dropped down to 10 volts. The power supply was still reading 13.8 Vdc. The DC lines feeding the 203 are too small for full power. Will remedy that soon though.

Last edited:
How you like that lil workan wattmeter?

CbRadiosPRONTO

It has been wonderful for the last few years. I have tested it against some very good ones to see what kind of readings I'm really getting and it's almost exactly the same read out. I like the illuminated and switchable meter face, with out it I would have a real hard time reading it. It has 5-50-250 and 1kw readings and swr.

At the risk of being blasted...aw screw it, I like it too. I'm not buying a Bird 43 for every flippin' setup...right? Wait, let me turn my blinker on while I answer the phone and SWITCH ELEMENTS!!! I do change the SO-239 connectors in the back because the stock ones are really bad. The center spreads. The meter, though, is the closest thing to my Bird 43p on peak than anything else I've owned. Anything can read carrier. It's the peak readings meters have a problem with. I need the 43 in the bench for pep and avg readings but in my mobiles and personal set up on the bench, this little Workman (Bluck!) does great. Almost can't believe I just said that out loud.

CbRadiosPRONTO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.