• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Road devil power mic.

undecidedcallsign

Nov 3, 2013
I have an Astatic 636 4 pin and have can get a deal on a Road Devil power mic. Is there anything to gain? With todays new radios (mic gain control) is it even necessary? Also do they make that power mic in (non) flamboyant red?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

they used to be black. now all you can get is red. I use my older black one in the car, the newer red one on the base.
the originals were great mics, I have no idea about the new not made in US versions.
I always run my mic gain wide open and control the audio with the mic.

I have seen a few older black road devils Rd104e that do not come with the connector. Are these any better then the new red ones?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have one of the of the newer red road devils and it is a decent mic. I alternate between using the RD104E and the D104M6B on the base. The RD104E picks up less background noise than the D104M6B.

Personally, i dont like the Road Devil.....squeals like a pig once ya turn it up a tad. M6B's are rusty & trusty, except the PTT button hurts my finger after a long conversation. I would just keep using the 636 with the mic gain turned up to a good understandable level.

The Road Devil makes my Galaxy DX-959,CRE-8900,Uniden PRO 505XL sound loud and clear without squealing pigs present. I use my Astatic 636L if I want to sound clear but not loud. The only radio my RD squeals on is my GE 3-5813A&B models. They have a mic preamp built in.

The Road Devil comes in red. Depends on what radio you have I guess. If you just walk to talk normal then the 636L is a sure bet. Road Devil is if you are talking long distance. People will hear you even if you're not putting any discernible signal on their RX.

For local I use my Ranger SRA-198. Sounds smooth and not edgy or peaked like the 636L.

With todays new radios (mic gain control) is it even necessary?

Radios without mic gain would be way back before my time, but don't confuse that with any kind of amplification. With the mic gain wide open on "10", all of the signal produced by the mic reaches the audio circuit. As you start turning the gain down (CCW), you start to attenuate that signal until you can finally just shut it completely down.

Wow, wish I read this before I bought my 636. Do get me wrong, the MIC is very good and I am satisfied with it. I thought with most new radios any power MIC would squeal. Guess I'm wrong. Can't you buy replacement covers for the road devil in black or chrome? Do the road devils and d104m6 have better sound than a 56 road king?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.