• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rotor for Maco M103C

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
Hello,
I was wondering if this NTE U-105 rotor with the NTE TB-105 (Thrust bearing) would work for a Maco M103C antenna?
Value NTE U 105 Antenna Rotor Dial Control Box and TB 105 Support Bearing | eBay

I will be mounting the M103C horizontally on top of my 40ft American steel tower.
I figured with the minimum 3ft of mast out of the rotor and a thrust bearing it might work out for me.

I was also looking at Norms Rotor Service's website and saw a U-110 Rotor & Control - 1 year warranty, rated at 5 sq. ft. wind load, rotor for azimuth & elevation use, light duty. Last of the American made all metal gear train construction rotors.
For $149.00 rebuilt + shipping.
Not sure if it would work for me?
Based on the M103C's Surface Radius (sq. ft.) of 4.5 it looks like it might.
I would still think a thrust bearing would be helpful with this rotor if Norms has one for it.

if you dont have to much wind in your area
i have seen a radio shack tv antenna rotor work for years
underneath the m-103 mounted flatside

Personally my thoughts are that 4.5 sq.ft on a rotator rated at 5.0 sq.ft is asking for trouble especially if you have much wind. It is pretty much standard to have at least 30% reserve capability. Having said that if you mount the rotator immediately below the antenna boom it will help greatly in taking the sideways stress off the rotator.

don't know about that..
does not look all that strong..

even though you are not talking about a big beam
i would go with a better rotor then that

The U-105 with the thrust bearing will hold the M-103. However, strong wind will turn the antenna and cause the rotor box to go out of calibration regularly. The good news is you just have to turn the rotor to both end stops and it falls back into calibration.

Those Chinese thrust bearings are usually off center and will give an elliptical rotation that will bind without modification. I have an original Ohio made, 70's vintage U-105 that matches up perfectly with standard TV rotors sold today.

They are all Chinese made today.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/TB105.pdf

OTOH, if your young and healthy and your beam is easily accessible, then you can always switch the rotor out when it takes a dump. They aren't to costly. I've certainly seen people do worse things.

How about the Maco Y-Quad?
It seems light and has a Surface Radius (sq. ft.) of 2.7.
Either of the above rotors work with this antenna?
On a budget and just can't spend 200.00 to 300.00 on a rotor.

Picked up a Ham 3 rotor from a local for under $200.00. Should be all set for the M103C, maybe even a M104C.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.