• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RTTY and CW using computer hookup issue

radio grief

Mar 12, 2024
Greetings All----New here,

*Not sure if posting in the correct place.

Been out of radio for quite a few years now and resuscitating my interest for that hobby....Have been in radio for 53 years or so...I used to do RTTY, CW, Etc via a Commodore computer and an AES CP-100 interface which all worked flawlessly for what I needed it to do....The C-64 (Commodore) is no longer functioning and I would just about kill for another (grin)...The interface apparently works ONLY with a specified program.

....So, what I have is a Dell desktop with "XP"on it and a Yaesu FT-901 DM that works well also.....I want to get back into "computer generated" CW and RTTY....

...A friend alerted me to 1-2 free-bie programs but, am clueless as to connections or, even if additional hardware is necessary such as an interface....Can anyone give some detailed assistance?....Thanks in advance!
901 dm radio back.jpg

cp-100 back.jpg

cp-100 front.jpg

I see Commodore 64s at hamfests that are working all the time. Probably a few on Ebay as well.
Pretty old school stuff you have there! It is all a lot easier with a more current radio with built in sound card and your computer! But you have what you have so I guess you go with configuring all of that if you can.

You can probably use a SignaLink USB for a soundcard connected to your rig and a computer and use more current software for RTTY and other digital modes like FT8.
I don't know if the 901 is stable enough for digital modes like FT8.

Last edited:
THANKS FOR THE REPLY!
(ps, caps are not yelling, neither is bold type that I use to segregate portions of the conversation)

I see Commodore 64s at hamfests that are working all the time.
I haven't been to a hamfest in many years -maybe I might check out the next one in Orlando.

Probably a few on Ebay as well.
saw 'em, over-priced and a many "untested"...

Pretty old school stuff you have there!
yeah, it is but "bullet-proof" and works well....Prefer tube finals...

It is all a lot easier with a more current radio with built in sound card and your computer! But you have what you have so I guess you go with configuring all of that if you can.
correct

You can probably use a SignaLink USB for a soundcard connected to your rig and a computer and use more current software for RTTY and other digital modes like FT8.
unfamiliar with this stuff as I have been absent for quite a while....Are we talking and external interface?

Only interested in RTTY and CW

(SHOULD HAVE POSTED A PICT(S) OF THE 730 BELOW)

.......Please advise...
ICOM 730 GENERIC BACK PANEL PICT.jpg

Attachments

• ICOM 730 GENERIC FRONT PANEL PICT.jpg
    ICOM 730 GENERIC FRONT PANEL PICT.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
unfamiliar with this stuff as I have been absent for quite a while....Are we talking and external interface?

Only interested in RTTY and CW
Yes an external soundcard interface unit between the 901 and a laptop or PC.
Here; https://tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm
If you follow their instructions completely you can't go wrong setting it up.

Then whatever software you want to use, some are freeware some not. FLDigi is commonly used, well respected, and free. There are others as well. The software will give you several different digital modes but you just use what you want to. FT8 is extremely popular these days. Most DX is on it. I have worked 190 DXCC entities since Jan 1, 2024 so far. I usually work about 220 of them each calendar year for the CQ DX Marathon. 95% or more of those were on FT8.

RTTY is mostly around in various RTTY contests through the year. I don't hear much of it other than that these days. MTTY is a free commonly used RTTY engine. I like MixW 3.2 but it is not free.

I copy CW just fine so never used a computer to receive it. I know it only works "so well" that way. It doesn't do well with weak signals, QRM, or less than very well sent CW, almost computer-like sent.
I have heard that CWGet software works better than average to receive CW.

If you prefer to use just what you already have then you have to get to configuring it all.
The 901 or the 730 are both neat older rigs. These days we are quite spoiled with the more current models of radios that can do so much more than those did! Many more operating conveniences in a rig these days. My 7600 does PSK31 and RTTY all on it's own. Just plug in a keyboard. For DXing or casual RTTY it is fine. Contesting works better with software.

Just now getting back to this and an "UPDATE",

I acquired a "Rigblaster Pro" a few days ago, un-used in orig box, etc.....Spent the last 4 days on and off attempting to get this "!!!!" working and, with no success....

I temporarily put aside the "AEA PK-232, CP-100, and CP1" for now to concentrate on this headache.

Below is a copy of an e-mail sent to the manufacture yesterday to which I hope I can get some assistance:
1...Purchased a RIG BLASTER PRO (henceforth referred to as "blaster") unit a few days ago and have been frustratingly struggling with it since arrival!....

A) ***All jumpers installed for ICOM radio although, specific model not listed**
B)***All "shunts" installed for ICOM radio**
C) ***Jumpers and shunts verified 3x's for accuracy**

2...Radio is an ICOM 730 rig (henceforth referred to as "radio" or "730") with screw on front mic connector.

3...Radio is set to CW mode.

4..."Modular" cable is plugged into the back of "blaster".

5...Other end of that modular cable has a ROUND mic connector and, is plugged into the front mic connector of 730.

6...Audio cable is connected to back of 730 radio speaker output jack (using a "splitter" so as to hear radio through external speaker).

7...Other end of audio cable is plugged into back of blaster "rig audio output sections' audio "IN" jack.

8...Cable is connected to back of blaster at COM Port
"IN/OUT B" .

9...Other end of that cable is connected to port at rear of Dell Desktop computer using Windows XP as an OS.

10..."Blaster" switched to "ON".

11...Front rotary knob of blaster adjusted to "minimum".

12...Processor switch switched to "process" (tried both on and off so-to-speak).

13...Rotary knob is set to "minimum".

POWER LIGHT (WHEN SWITCH IS ON)............... IS "ON"

FSK LIGHT ...................................................................IS OFF

CW LIGHT ....................................................................IS OFF

PTT LIGHT ...................................................................IS OFF

PROCESSOR SWITCH (UP OR DOWN)...............LIGHT IS OFF

MIC LIGHT ...................................................................IS "ON"

CS LIGHT .................................................................IS OFF

LEVEL LIGHT .............................................................IS OFF

LEVEL KNOB ........................................................IS SET TO THE LEFT (NO DIFFERENCE R OR L).

What am I forgetting here??.
...I see many un-used audio cables and wonder why so many.?...

I have installed quite a few of the programs on the CD disk' and just having a VERY DIFFICULT TIME...

My goal is to simply do CW (send and receive) and RTTY (send and receive).

Attachments

• back panel of dell dimension 3000.jpg
    back panel of dell dimension 3000.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 18
  • RIGBLASTER PRO BACK PANEL.jpg
    RIGBLASTER PRO BACK PANEL.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21
  • GENERIC FRONT PANEL RIGBLASTER PRO.jpg
    GENERIC FRONT PANEL RIGBLASTER PRO.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 23
  • ICOM 730 GENERIC BACK PANEL PICT.jpg
    ICOM 730 GENERIC BACK PANEL PICT.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 19
  • ICOM 730 GENERIC FRONT PANEL PICT.jpg
    ICOM 730 GENERIC FRONT PANEL PICT.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 19
What software are you using for the radio? Maybe use the last version of Ham Radio Deluxe before it became commercial software. Assuming you have HRD installed, you should be able to hit send and it should at least put your radio in transmit.. If it isnt, then double check the serial settings on HRD. That is what controls the transmit on and off.
A picture of the inside of the Rigblaster may help. :)

Also, don't plug in your Commodore 64 with the stock power supply. They are notorious for taking out C64s. In short, it probably took out some ram chips, next to go is the PLA chip, and from there on out, anything else is game. I would offer to fix it but I don't think I have any extra PLA chips to sell or give, but suppose I could at least socket the chip so then you can put in another. We can save that discussion for another time. :) For now, gotta see how to get your rigblaster to make that Icom go into transmit.

**CAPS ARE NOT YELLING AND ONLY USED TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS OF THE CONVERSATION**

What software are you using for the radio?
I WOULD HAVE TO GO BACK AND CHECK BUT, INSTALLED A FEW FROM ENCLOSED CD.

Maybe use the last version of Ham Radio Deluxe before it became commercial software. Assuming you have HRD installed,
I DO NOT HAVE IT INSTALLED AT THIS WRITING

you should be able to hit send and it should at least put your radio in transmit..
BEFORE THIS, I STILL SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECEIVE...1 STEP AT A TIME..

If it isnt, then double check the serial settings on HRD.
I DO NOT HAVE IT INSTALLED AT THIS WRITING

That is what controls the transmit on and off.
A picture of the inside of the Rigblaster may help. :)
I STILL SHOULD GET "SOMETHING" ON TE LIGHTS ON UNIT AND DATA ON COMPUTER MONITOR.
Also, don't plug in your Commodore 64 with the stock power supply.
IF YOU NOTICED, I INDICATED THAT I WAS USING A DELL DESKTOP!...NOT C-64.....GRIN

They are notorious for taking out C64s. In short, it probably took out some ram chips, next to go is the PLA chip, and from there on out, anything else is game.
NA---N/A----USING A DELL COMPUTER AS INDICATED IN TE TEXT I POSTED.

I would offer to fix it but I don't think I have any extra PLA chips to sell or give, but suppose I could at least socket the chip so then you can put in another.
USING A DELL COMPUTER AS INDICATED

We can save that discussion for another time. :) For now, gotta see how to get your rigblaster to make that Icom go into transmit.
I JUST RECEIVED A PRE-MADE CORD FROM MANUFACTURER FOR MY YEASU FT-901-DM...EITHER WAY, STILL HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE WHAT MANUFACTURER IS GOING TO TELL ME.......(PS THANKS FOR THE REPLY)....

EDIT: I think that I have to get it to receive as intended and then, to effectuate transmit......

Last edited:
Ok, returning to this...(I needed a break!)...

Using the PK-232MBX,

front of PK-232 MBX.jpg

1)...I have power connected to unit (of course!)....
2)...Have RS232 cord from back of "232" to com port 1 on back of desktop computer...

back of PK-232MBX A.jpg

back panel of dell dimension 3000 A.jpg

3)...Have cord with 4-pin mic connector connected to front panel of "901" and other end which yields a "strange-looking" flat connector into "radio 1" port of 232.
CORD ENDS.jpg

CORD ENDS 2.jpg

4)...Have audio speaker cord connected from output of radio to input of 232.

back panel of 901A.jpg

back of PK-232MBX A.jpg

I can get "movement" on front bar graph of 232 but "squat" on FLDIGI program.....Seems to me that I am missing something critical here!...Unlike the Rigmaster, should there be wires connected to the computers' sound card (ie mic and speaker jacks)?

**Sorry for the multiple pictures attached as some have been previously posted - My intent was to stop the reader from having to scroll up and down for reference**

Sorry for the late reply. I somehow missed you replied previously.

It looks like you got them all attached right. I just realized that duh.... The speaker audio from the radio itself goes into that Radio 1 audio jack... Disregard what I said earlier. I looked at it wrong.

That device I believe works solely by itself. Maybe open up a terminal program like Putty or another one of choice and see if you can at least type in commands and log into your packratt. I dont think fldigi would work for you in this case as you are feeding the audio straight into the packratt, so there is no way for the computer itself to decode/receive it.

But for sure, see if you can properly talk to that packratt through a Terminal program.

Last edited:
Let me take a picture of the device I got as a freebie last year in September during a vintage computer show in Chicago. Knew it was ham radio related and snagged it up along with a Kantronics device. My Elmer (Rest in Peace K7NNV 2022) Gave me his Kantronics in 2019 which I was able to get working and use a system out of Reno Nevada. Now I want to set it back up thanks to this thread of yours lol.

I will edit this thread once I get a picture.
----------------
Here is the picture.
Ham Radio rtty devices.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. I somehow missed you replied previously.

It looks like you got them all attached right. I just realized that duh.... The speaker audio from the radio itself goes into that Radio 1 audio jack... Disregard what I said earlier. I looked at it wrong.

That device I believe works solely by itself. Maybe open up a terminal program like Putty or another one of choice and see if you can at least type in commands and log into your packratt. I dont think fldigi would work for you in this case as you are feeding the audio straight into the packratt, so there is no way for the computer itself to decode/receive it.

But for sure, see if you can properly talk to that packratt through a Terminal program.
###########################
Sorry for the late reply.
DON'T SAY SORRY!...I AM HAPPY FOR ANY REPLY I CAN GET

I somehow missed you replied previously.
OK

I THOUGHT THAT IS WHAT I DID.WILL HAVE TO RE-LOOK AT ALL THIS AGAIN...(THIS IS BURNING ME OUT QUICKLY).

That device I believe works solely by itself.
YEAH, THAT IS WHAT I READ TOO.

Maybe open up a terminal program like Putty or another one of choice and see if you can at least type in commands and log into your packratt.
I DOWNLOADED PUTTY A FEW DAYS AGO..WILL SEE WHAT I CAN COME UP WITH.

I dont think fldigi would work for you in this case as you are feeding the audio straight into the packratt, so there is no way for the computer itself to decode/receive it.
$HIT!

WILL ATTEMPT SHORTLY...NEXT ISSUE TO TACKLE IF TO SEE HOW TO SELECT MODES ON UNIT AND TO TX/RX.

Reactions: doffo
Let me take a picture of the device I got as a freebie last year in September during a vintage computer show in Chicago. Knew it was ham radio related and snagged it up along with a Kantronics device. My Elmer (Rest in Peace K7NNV 2022) Gave me his Kantronics in 2019 which I was able to get working and use a system out of Reno Nevada. Now I want to set it back up thanks to this thread of yours lol.

I will edit this thread once I get a picture.
----------------
Here is the picture.
View attachment 68305

###############################
My stuff...Setting back up after many years........Now I realize why I got out of this....Too many headaches!

***Before-----

Picture0003.jpg

***During-----

now a mess.jpg

Last edited:
Some great rigs and amps there! I noticed the VHF amp. I want to do some SSB 2m stuff but never got around to it just yet.

For the most part, just choosing Serial and typing in the COM port number, example mine is on COM9, then click open. Putty then should open up a blank black window. Press enter to see if you can get the Pakratt to respond with something.

Some great rigs and amps there!
I TEND TO GO FOR THE OLDER STUFF BUT, BACK THEN, THEY WERE RELATIVELY NEW....AHHH, I LOVE TUBE FINALS!

I noticed the VHF amp. I want to do some SSB 2m stuff but never got around to it just yet.
I HAVE A 150W(?) AMP UP TOP THERE SOMEPLACE THAT IS 2M....FAN OF DENTRON STUFF...DENTRON MLA-2500 WITH MT-3000A TUNER....A DENTRON CLIPPERTON-L IN THE CLOSET, A DRAKE TRANSCEIVER (NEEDS ONLY A COUPLE OF TUBES AND A X'TAL OR TWO...
MY TOWER WAS HIT (I LITTERALLY SAW IT TAKE A DIRECT HIT ON IT WHICH LEFT A BURN MARK THE SIZE OF THE END OF A PENCIL ERASER ON IT) YEARS AGO AND SINCE COAXES WERE CONNECTED, TURNED IN ALL MY EQUIPMENT TO HAVE EVERYTHING I OWN IN THERE CHECKED AND ALIGHNED AND, IF MARGINALLY GOOD, REPLACEMENT PARTS INSTALLED INCLUDING ALL TUBES...I WANTED TO BE SURE THAT ANY MAGNETIC CURRENTS, SPIKES, ETC DIDN'T INFILTRATE THE PARTS AND TAKE OUT SOMETHING....I HAVE 2 HRS ON ALL MY STUFF EXCEPT THE DENTRON AMPS WHICH I HAVE LESS THAN AN HOUR KEY-DOWN TIME.

For the most part, just choosing Serial and typing in the COM port number, example mine is on COM9, then click open. Putty then should open up a blank black window. Press enter to see if you can get the Pakratt to respond with something.
SOONEST......

Also, wondering if I have my Rigblaster here with me... Thought I had it in Nevada. may have to go look out in the garage for it soon. I havent used it since I dont have my Icom 706 MKIIG here. My 756 PRO II I have a separate cable set to make the task easier, but the rigblaster is nice to interface with other radios. I might have to make a Kenwood TS-430 cable for myself and give it a try. This way its a close setup to the way you have it there.

We will have to prevail!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.