• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rystl CB-4082 40 ch

socal1leg

Jun 7, 2012
Going to go look at one today, found it on CL local for $40. I want a SSB radio. Anybody have any info on this radio. not much on the web about it other then pictures. Seller sounds like he might be an old ham or electronics guy. he has a bunch of other older radios for sell to. I'm going to at least take a 12 volt jumper to make sure it powers up. not even sure if it has a mic.

I had read that it was, but haven't found much info yet on it. Are old cybernet chassis any good. I don't need this thing to be great just need it to work and get me started on SSB and talk to the locals on ch 12. I plan to buy a better radio maybe next year after i save a little more.

I think it is the same as a JC penny 6247/Midland 79-892, if you pull the cover and see a good sized wire wound VR bolted to the side of the chassis inside of the radio it is the same board.That is the VR to control the AM carrier.
Not a bad old radio if it is in good shape and working properly.

Jeff

I think it is the same as a JC penny 6247/Midland 79-892, if you pull the cover and see a good sized wire wound VR bolted to the side of the chassis inside of the radio it is the same board.That is the VR to control the AM carrier.
Not a bad old radio if it is in good shape and working properly.
Jeff

Worth $40 if working? I was going to try and offer $30

If it is clean, working and not hacked up,and you are wanting a SSB radio, I would give 40 for it, they are a good SSB radio for a standard 40 Ch radio.
I would always try to talk them down :)
It would be best if you can test it before you hand over the cash....if no mic that is going to be hard and that is going to reduce the value.
Here is one that has been converted to Ten meters on YouTube
CB TO 10 METER - RYSTL CB4082 - YouTube

I had the JC Penny 6247 and I am almost sure it is the same board, had a lot of fun with that radio.
Make sure it is a 40 channel radio. There was an Australian model that only had 18 channels ( CB 4082 A-18)
Lou Franklin s Golden screwdriver Guide has the tune -up info listed.
VR-4 (the big VR on the left side of the chassis) controls the carrier.
VR 12 on the board controls the AM Modulation level
VR 2 on the board controls the SSB ALC
it also has a Adjustment for SSB mike gain on the board VR 11
If it is in good shape and you do get it, post some pictures of the radio.

Jeff

That radio has the good ol' PLL02A Cybernet chassis in it. Tons of mods for that radio. If it's in good shape, as Audioshockwav mentioned, it's well worth $40.00. :)

~Cheers~

I bought it. :D

Old man let me test it, came with original mic and pig-tail. hooked up to my old mag mount and plugged into cig-lighter it worked. Radio is bone stock. it looks like the screws have never been out of it. I didn't even try to talk the old man down in price. looks like he needed the money more then i did. Really nice guy. I talked to him for a little bit and then moved on.

Got it home, everything seems to work OK, I think it needs to be cleaned up. Im going to give it to my buddy Bob to peak and tune and give a good cleaning.

Went to the swap meet across the street, Picked up a shortwave radio, Old Teaberry Base unit 40 channel CB, and a SWR meter all for another $40, And they all work the SW was $30
:D

Last edited:
socal1leg-albums-rystl-cb-4082-picture3450-top.jpg

socal1leg-albums-rystl-cb-4082-picture3449-bottem.jpg

I would just run it you might be supprised to find that it works well in stock form. Please do not let anyone clip anything in that radio. With very light adjustments to the alc and amc it should sound good and even with the stock mic a tweak on the ssb mic gain in the radio should give plenty of audio.
It is rare to find one that has not been screwdrivered to death.
Have fun.

Jeff

I would just run it you might be supprised to find that it works well in stock form. Please do not let anyone clip anything in that radio. With very light adjustments to the alc and amc it should sound good and even with the stock mic a tweak on the ssb mic gain in the radio should give plenty of audio.
It is rare to find one that has not been screwdrivered to death.
Have fun.

Jeff

Nothing is getting modified on this radio, just a good cleaning and peak and tune like you said, no clips, snips or add-ons.

Reactions: 1 person
Hello
Maybe someone has a diagram for this radio and a service manual would be even better
Regards
Kazimierz from Poland

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.